Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Oil...............Which Brand And Weight Do You Run?

Many years ago I knew a guy who swore by Shell Rotella T because none of his engines ever had an oil-related failure. But as he never owned a car for more than two years he could have used goose grease with no problems. When it comes to engine oil most people have a preference for whatever reason. Which brand and weight do YOU run and why?

For the last two years I have been using Parts Master 10W30 full synthetic because my local auto parts store/machine shop sells it to me for only $3.99 a quart. Prior to that I had been using Valvoline 10W30 conventional oil and often Castrol GTX 10W30 conventional oil. When I was a kid I used 30 weight RPM Delo just because I was a fan of Chevron gasoline.

Many years ago I knew a guy who swore by Shell Rotella T because none of his engines ever had an oil-related failure. But as he never owned a car for more than two years he could have used goose grease with no problems. When it comes to engine oil most people have a preference for whatever reason. Which brand and weight do YOU run and why?

For the last two years I have been using Parts Master 10W30 full synthetic because my local auto parts store/machine shop sells it to me for only $3.99 a quart. Prior to that I had been using Valvoline 10W30 conventional oil and often Castrol GTX 10W30 conventional oil. When I was a kid I used 30 weight RPM Delo just because I was a fan of Chevron gasoline.

Unless you have a roller engine, you need an oil with at least 1200 ppm of zddp. This is why I use Rotella. Just being synthetic will not stop cam lobe wear. You should use oil with enough zddp, or use an additive to bring zddp levels up.

Your friend swore by it because he had a diesel engine.

Of course of he didn't have a diesel engine then he was you and he didn't know how to use oil rated for his correct type engine

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Conventional Oil Versus Synthetic Oil

Two years ago I conducted an interesting test. I put a large 14" aluminum skillet on my stove and put a few drops of conventional oil on one side and a few drops of a full synthetic oil on the other side. I turned the burner on HIGH and waited to see what happened. After several minutes the conventional oil began smoking and after several more minutes the conventional oil began evaporating while the synthetic oil remained unchanged. Now that I have discovered synthetic oils will tolerate tremendous heat without coking I will use them from now on.

4854c3e86967ab52f455448827daa229.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

You could have saved some time and a messed up skillet by just watching the tv commercial a few years ago that did the same thing.

I use the Shell Rotella 10w-40 in mine. Dad left me bunches of it when he passed away. Lucas also makes a zppd additive that one can use with regular motor oil.

You could have saved some time and a messed up skillet by just watching the tv commercial a few years ago that did the same thing.

I haven't had any television service since 2007 when everything went digital. So I have to rely solely on the internet to get my local and world news.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom