Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ENGINE OPTIONS?!?

ladams

Corvette
1981 White
I've had a 1981 vette for a year and a half now and from EVERYTHING I've learned here and on other sites, there were no options for the engine. ONLY L81. I had my car appraised and I argued with the guy that my engine was not an L48. Also, I just spoke to my buddies neighbor who is the original owner of his '81 and says also that he had options of an L48 or an L82. Was it different for Canadian sold cars or what? :confused
Can anyone answer this one?

You stick to your guns, because you are right, and you do your research.
The others may have a book, but it's WRONG!
Tell them you have an 81 not an 80.

You can call GM at 800 222 1020 or 810 696 4800 (USA numbers) and get a free restoration and specification package, that should help you shut up all the doubting Thomas's. All you need is your Vin #, PG.

Was it different for Canadian sold cars or what?

Nope, no difference in Canadian cars. L81 only in 1981. The last year of L48 and L82 manufacture was 1980. Ask your 'expert' appraiser and neighbour for their written references. I'm curious what they'll produce.

Call GM Restoration Services in Oshawa for a statement of what your car was built with- this service is unique to Corvettes imported into Canada (lucky us!)

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/shopping/parts/vintage

The L81 was the ONLY engine in 1981. It was computer controlled and certified in all 50 states. It also was the only engine in cars which were exported.

The fact that an "appraiser" argues that the engine is an L48 indicates that this person is not really an appraiser and any information he offers in exchange for payment has to be considered noncredible because of his/her lack of knowlege of the vehicle being appraised.

Thanks guys, I new that sooner or later I would be right about something! haha

I've had a 1981 vette for a year and a half now and from EVERYTHING I've learned here and on other sites, there were no options for the engine. ONLY L81. I had my car appraised and I argued with the guy that my engine was not an L48. Also, I just spoke to my buddies neighbor who is the original owner of his '81 and says also that he had options of an L48 or an L82. Was it different for Canadian sold cars or what? :confused
Can anyone answer this one?

Everyone above is correct.!! At least from all the research I've done on the 1981 Corvette ( and I've done quite a bit, prior to starting the L81VetteRegistry :D

Also it would mean a whole lot of other folks are WRONG if your buddies neighbor (who was the original owner :eek) ,the appraiser are right.. that would mean all of these publications and folks are WRONG :eyerole
  • The Corvette Black Book ~ Mike Antonick
  • The Complete Book of Corvette ~ Richard M. Langworth
  • Corvette America's Sports Car ~ Jay Koblenz
  • The Corvette Fifty Year History ~ Randy Leffingwell
  • Corvette Shop Manual ST-364-81 ~ GM Corp. Detroit, MI
And a hand full of others I've talked to over the years e.g. Nolan Adams, Gordon Killebrew, and several others... Just within this thread are a couple of very knowledgable NCRS guys, and even a published Technical Writer...

I guess we could all be wrong, but I seriously have my doubts :boogie ;LOL

Thank the two experts you have where you live and do me a favor ask them what a 1983 Aluminum Corvette is worth ;) :chuckle

Now if we could just find the one and only Code 24 1981 Corvette and DOCUMENT IT, That would be my ultimate dream come true :dance

Bud

Now if we could just find the one and only Code 24 1981 Corvette and DOCUMENT IT, That would be my ultimate dream come true :dance

Bud

:hijack

No to hijack the thread too much, but what is a Code 24 '81, Bud? :confused

:thumb Jason

:hijack

No to hijack the thread too much, but what is a Code 24 '81, Bud? :confused

:thumb Jason
:w Jason,

Between St. Louis and Bowling Green, there were 40,606 Corvettes built in the production year for 1981. Of the 40,606 Corvettes built ONLY ONE was released with the paint code 24, which is "Bright Blue Metallic"~ Laq Paint ~ St. Louis production.

The Registry has had several folks use code 24 as their paint color, NONE have been able to confirm their car as the ONE Code 24. Most register their car then realize they really don't know what they have, when asked to check their Trim Tag, only a few answer back with a corrected color code, most don't, I guess they either Don't have the code 24 or they don't want to actually DOCUMENT it ;shrug Of course we had one that claimed to be the Code 24 without a Trim Tag, I believe they have since come to believe thier car was probably a repaint :W

While we're on this topic... I encourage ALL 1981 owners to varify their ""Original"" color via the Trim Tag. It's always nice to know what color your car is now, but to DOCUMENT it properly we really want the "Original Factory Color" for our Data Base.

Good Question, hopefully my answer isn't to obnoxious :chuckle

Bud

...The fact that an "appraiser" argues that the engine is an L48 indicates that this person is not really an appraiser and any information he offers in exchange for payment has to be considered noncredible because of his/her lack of knowlege of the vehicle being appraised.

:thumb
I agree.

:w Jason,

Between St. Louis and Bowling Green, there were 40,606 Corvettes built in the production year for 1981. Of the 40,606 Corvettes built ONLY ONE was released with the paint code 24, which is "Bright Blue Metallic"~ Laq Paint ~ St. Louis production.

The Registry has had several folks use code 24 as their paint color, NONE have been able to confirm their car as the ONE Code 24. Most register their car then realize they really don't know what they have, when asked to check their Trim Tag, only a few answer back with a corrected color code, most don't, I guess they either Don't have the code 24 or they don't want to actually DOCUMENT it ;shrug Of course we had one that claimed to be the Code 24 without a Trim Tag, I believe they have since come to believe thier car was probably a repaint :W

While we're on this topic... I encourage ALL 1981 owners to varify their ""Original"" color via the Trim Tag. It's always nice to know what color your car is now, but to DOCUMENT it properly we really want the "Original Factory Color" for our Data Base.

Good Question, hopefully my answer isn't to obnoxious :chuckle

Bud

Thanks for the reply. I just checked my trim tag and it turns out that I am supposed to have cinnibar cloth seats (67C) instead of the leather ones I have.
It's pretty neat to get responses from such authorities.

Well, I listed my car as metallic blue but after looking at the trim tag, my car shows 84L which I believe is Charcoal metallic. Guess I'll have to change my registry.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom