Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine pad Vin Stamping

J60FI

Corvette
1960 Red on Red
I have read that the VIN number began getting stamped on the engine pad in 1960 and i have also read that it began in 1961..

Can somebody confirm what day/month or serial number the change was made..

Thanks

The change was in 1960 production but not at the start of the production year. On page 255 of Noland's book he states that the AIM calling for the addition of the serial number to the stamp was dated 3-28-60. However there are earlier examples known. The earliest he knew of at that time was serial number 1806 assembled on the morning of Friday, December 18th, 1959.

Another early example is car number 3679 built early in the morning of Friday February 12th 1960. The date that the AIM update was released to the line and the date that the practice actually started seem to be quite different. I can't say for sure that all blocks were stamped once the practice started and before the AIM update reached the line but I'd say it would be a good guess. Also I think there could be blocks stamped with serial numbers closely before car number 1806.

I don't have a copy of the latest judging manual so maybe someone will add more to this discussion that has had recent experience on the matter.

Tom

Thanks Tom, very helpfull...

Anybody have a current judging manual to help clear this up?

My late December car was stamped.

Regards, John McGraw

The earliest car I've seen that was stamped is car #1651 built 12-5-59. It was done without the gang holder which didn't get used until approx. car #5395.

Hmmm..gang holder???
I would guess thats what kept the stamps in line,and centered..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom