Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Rebuild

crazyhorse745

Corvette
1969 convertible
Anybody know if a tight pilot bearing can act like a clutch not disengaging fully. I recently rebuilt a 350 and replaced the pilot bearing; I noticed that it was tight when I installed the transmission. I have adjusted the clutch and I don't think the clutch is not fully disengaging. The tranny shifts OK going up but down shifting is hard and getting into reverse is very hard if the engine is running. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe that the pilot bearing acts a support for the tranny input shaft. It is not used for dis-engaging the clutch.

I wonder if the bearing is not rolling smoothly if it would throw the synchronization off...:confused

sounds like the transmission shaft is binding on the pilot (thrust) bearing. Which means the trans shaft is turning by means of drag from the flywheel (instead of by way of the clutch)

If you can get it into reverse by shutting the engine off, shift to reverse and then restart the enging, that indicates a tight thrust bearing to me.

When I was installing mine recently, I noticed the thrust bearing was tight when test fitting it. So I bought a roller bearing instead before I reassembled it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom