Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Engine rebuilding Sleeve vs. Boreing

• Thread starter Thread starter Kicnrocks
  • Start date Start date
K

Kicnrocks

Any opinions out on which engine restoration is better. The use of sleeves or boreing. What are the pros vs cons if any? anything is one considered more correct? Thank you Kevin

Never sleeve a block if it can be overbored.

Boring is a typical rebuild, overhaul or remanufacturing technique.

Sleeving is more specialized and is for the most part a repair procedure, ie: if one or more bores in a block are damaged such that overboring is not possible, then a sleeve can be installed.

Never sleeve a block if it can be overbored.

Boring is a typical rebuild, overhaul or remanufacturing technique.

Sleeving is more specialized and is for the most part a repair procedure, ie: if one or more bores in a block are damaged such that overboring is not possible, then a sleeve can be installed.

:thumb Never sleeve the sbc unless there is no other way the fix the motor. Even at that I'd find another block before installing sleeves. That's just my .02 worth.

IF you're dealing with a numbers matching 100% original that has a hole punched in it you could sleeve it to save it. Or if you want to go to a real big overbore. Take a 4" bore and sleeve it as big as you can- I've heard of .125 over, but I'll bet you can get bigger than that. But at what point does it become more cost effective to either get an aftermarket block or just a replacement?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom