Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Swap

smrtmblues

Corvette
'75 L82, '69 Can Am Widebody
This past week my engine guy asked when I was going to get the 350 in my Can-Am and I said it probably wouldn't be for a while yet. He suggested putting it in my '75 and do the run-up and break-in this coming summer. The problem is that I am 6-months into a 12-month warranty and the engine isn't in anything. It is under wraps and still needs all the chrome go-fast goodies, water pump, and last but not least, the carbs.

Well, I mentioned it my wife that we needed to do something or we wouldn't be able to get warranty if we needed it, so yesterday I spent a fair share of the day digging thru piles of take-off carbs looking for at least 2 2GC's that could be rebuilt for the outboards. All I found was junk, the best ones were already gone. Called on some my Chevy buddies and followed up on a few leads, finding out that only one had a single carb that would work. By the time I got to that one, my "buddy" had got religion about how much you could get for these things on e-bay, and started the price at $100. By that time I was tired and short on patience, so I politely told him to do just that, then offered him $20 to save him the frustration of having a "no-sale". Of course we parted company with a handshake, promising to stay in touch!;)

Ended up at my friendly Advanced Auto, bought 3 reman carbs, without cores, for less than a $100 a pop. Before they would let me out of there, I had spent nearly a grand on some of the parts needed to do the swap - like ceramic headers, water pump, flexplate, chrome alt, chrome Holley HV fuel pump, pretty blue wires, & good Bosch plugs. Gotta go back again today to order parts that I didn't think of yesterday, like fuel pump push rod, flexplate bolts, water pump bolts, belts, pulleys...you know - those things that become show stoppers during the install.

Plan to do the swap in a couple of weeks when my neighbor gets his frame-up 4x4 chassis back together enough to roll it outside. I'll keep everybody posted with pictures.

Yo Marv....You've been busy for sure......I love those "show stoppers"!!

Andy

smrtmblues said:
This past week my engine guy asked when I was going to get the 350 in my Can-Am and I said it probably wouldn't be for a while yet. He suggested putting it in my '75 and do the run-up and break-in this coming summer. The problem is that I am 6-months into a 12-month warranty and the engine isn't in anything. It is under wraps and still needs all the chrome go-fast goodies, water pump, and last but not least, the carbs.

Well, I mentioned it my wife that we needed to do something or we wouldn't be able to get warranty if we needed it, so yesterday I spent a fair share of the day digging thru piles of take-off carbs looking for at least 2 2GC's that could be rebuilt for the outboards. All I found was junk, the best ones were already gone. Called on some my Chevy buddies and followed up on a few leads, finding out that only one had a single carb that would work. By the time I got to that one, my "buddy" had got religion about how much you could get for these things on e-bay, and started the price at $100. By that time I was tired and short on patience, so I politely told him to do just that, then offered him $20 to save him the frustration of having a "no-sale". Of course we parted company with a handshake, promising to stay in touch!;)

Ended up at my friendly Advanced Auto, bought 3 reman carbs, without cores, for less than a $100 a pop. Before they would let me out of there, I had spent nearly a grand on some of the parts needed to do the swap - like ceramic headers, water pump, flexplate, chrome alt, chrome Holley HV fuel pump, pretty blue wires, & good Bosch plugs. Gotta go back again today to order parts that I didn't think of yesterday, like fuel pump push rod, flexplate bolts, water pump bolts, belts, pulleys...you know - those things that become show stoppers during the install.

Plan to do the swap in a couple of weeks when my neighbor gets his frame-up 4x4 chassis back together enough to roll it outside. I'll keep everybody posted with pictures.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom