Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine swaps and DMV

vetzs

Corvette
64 Red Vert / 89 White Vert
I'm curious as to what those of you that have installed newer engines (i.e. LS1) into your midyears have encountered when registering the vehicle with DMV. Anybody care to comment on their states position with swaps such as this?

Your DMV could car a less what engine is in your car. The only thing that matters to them is whether it has a correct VIN tag. They do not care if it has a different chassis, different engine or anything else. As long as the correct appearing VIN tag is in the correct location, then they will never give it a second look.

Regards, John McGraw

Does smog come into play with the engine being for a newer model car?

You'd have to check with your state's DMV or Emission Laws - each state is different, and many (like Michigan) have no requirements at all.

I dropped a 502 in... I went thru State Inspection..(Did it at my local gas station who is state inspection approved) we had to do some creative tuning but it passed emissions..don't ask me what year it was for...:L .

Here in Ontario the DMV does not care what motor is in your car. No emissions test for a C2. In fact, I doubt those who do emissions for newer cars would even know what they were in 1963-67. Probably there were no standards.

paul67 said:
Here in Ontario the DMV does not care what motor is in your car. No emissions test for a C2. In fact, I doubt those who do emissions for newer cars would even know what they were in 1963-67. Probably there were no standards.

I have Vietnam Veterans Tags on my C-2. These are considered standard tags and require a state inspection. If I were to get Classic tags the c-2 would not require any inspection.

:beer

As was stated earlier... check your states laws, but most states that have an emissions inspection require your vehicle to pass emissions specs for the year of manufacture of the vehicle. Installing a later model engine would probably create cleaner emissions than an older engine. I am in TX and we have no emissions requirements pre 1980. As far as your DMV I don't know, but most only require the vehicle have a clear VIN, a body, a chassis and a motor. Matching numbers not important.

Chuck

...i'm also in NJ and have antique (QQ) plates, running a zz440 in the '66 and the state could care less

...of course, the state government is now closed..................

.......most of us don't notice the difference but it would be good to get the road crews back to work

Kid_Again said:
...i'm also in NJ and have antique (QQ) plates, running a zz440 in the '66 and the state could care less

...of course, the state government is now closed..................

.......most of us don't notice the difference but it would be good to get the road crews back to work

Dude...You gotta change that Avatar...!! :ugh ;LOL

kid.jpg

New jersey here too,Im running a 2004 ls1 in my 73 but i have qq tags no inspection at all.

I've been told that in VA it's the year of the engine that matters if it's been replaced but it usually doesn't matter since it's a "don't ask, don't tell" sort of thing. In the case of my pickup, I did tell since I went from a straight six to a V8. Still passed though.

JohnZ said:
You'd have to check with your state's DMV or Emission Laws - each state is different, and many (like Michigan) have no requirements at all.
That is true!

In Virginia, I have never had to prove (to the DMV) the engine in the car matched anything - Maybe in California it would matter - but not here...

I envy FLoridians and those frm Michigan - they seem to have very favorable laws (or lack of) relating to the automotive hobbyist :cool

I believe here in GA., that it is the age of the car (not the engine) that matters and anything 20 years and older is exempt from the emmissions requirements. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it......

:L

In California they do not check emissions equipment on any car over 30 years old.

Don't ask... don't tell.

Engine swaps and the DMV

CA emissions inspection is currently not required for 1975 and older, the 30 year rule is currently not applicable (the emission equip is required, just not inspected, so don't throw it away). Technically, in CA, the emissions is determined by the newest of 2 areas - the year of the car or the year of the engine. Not many people are going to tell the CA DMV that they have an LS1 in their 59 Corvette, since the Corvette is not inspected. On the other hand, if you put a 1962 283 FI engine in a 2006 Corvette (to avoid emission insp), the CA DMV would require the 283 to meet 2006 emission standards and be inspected every 2 years.
C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59
P.S. CA also does not test emissions for the first 5 years of new cars life, so modify away but save the parts!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom