Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine & trans pull

B

biomedlen

I have a 1980 Vette which I am starting a full restoration on. It is a totally numbers matching car. ythe engine is the L-48 350 with a T10 4 speed. To remove them from the chassis can I pull them as a single unit assuming I remove the radiator, shroud etc..and the fan water pump etc.. from the block. Or must they be separated to get them out?

Thanks

Is there a particular reason you want the drivetrian in one piece? I'd say your easier choice would be two pieces. Simply remove the engine then jack up the car for your tranny. I think the only body piece that has to be removed is the hood. If you go one piece route I think the nose has to be removed as well as your rad. I could be wrong but judging from the C3's Ive seen I couldn't see it happening without front end body removal.

I just did an engine swap on my 81, I think you could get them out together but I'm not absolutely sure. The hood has to come off, the radiator and shroud come out. I think if you take out the radiator support then you won't have any trouble, but with it in you might really have to tilt the motor/trans to such an angle it may become dangerous. Also take off the fan, water pump and if possible the crank pulley.

Is your trans crossmember removable? Do you plan on leaving the car on the ground or will it be on stands/lift?

Just my opinion, but I think it's always easier to pull the engine and trans as a unit. You'll need a cherry picker with an engine tilting/tipping device so you can change the angle up/down as you pull the unit. I've done it a few dozen times on C1's, C2's, and C3's. You absolutely MUST remove the radiator/shroud/core support to get some room in the front. Can't do it if you don't. Take as much off the motor as you can. Chuck

Doing it as a one piece assembly is best. However, you have to get a cherry picker that is extremly long and low slung to pull it off. Most are not built to handle it.

So, pull the radiator, and front core support after unhooking the drive shaft, mounts, exhaust, wires, heater hoses, fuel lines, computer plugs, gear shifter, clutch rod.

Now, build a reinforcement in your attic and use a chain hoist from above. You can work in conjunction with a friend. As you lift the engine, roll the car backwards.

Mark the spot where you started (the tires on the floor) so that when you are ready to put it back in you can reverse the procedure.

If you can't do that, and only have access to a normal sized cherry picker, then you will have to pull the trans out from underneath, and lift the engine from the top, but you will have to reach in over the side of the fender instead of the front of the car.

Good luck!

Engine Pull

Hello,

I just pulled the original L48 and TH350 from my 1980 and replaced them with a GM 350HO 330HP crate engine and a Street/Strip TH350. I pulled mine as a single unit after removing the induction air boxes, fan assembly, air conditioning, alternater, power steering pump and the radiator. I used jack stands to slightly raise the front of the car and was very careful not to let the distributer rub the firewall.

The new engine and trans were also installed as a unit. I mounted a wooden board to a smaller hydraulic jack and used it to raise the trans into position while using a cherry picker to insert the assembly. It was a simple matter of raising the trans, lowering the picker, raising the trans, etc, etc.

I live in Sussex, Wisconsin (northwest of Milwaukee) and would be open to your visiting to see exactly how I did it. Send me a e-mail if interested. I'm going to be installing an exhayst system from a 1982 this weekend to take advantage of the 82's 2 1/2" GM emission legal tubular header exhaust manifolds, 2 1/2" y-pipes and 3" converter.

Eugene

Impala- I was curious.What are your emission rules up there?Thats a great idea to use those 82 tube-headers.

Dave

Hello,

The emission standards are very strict in the southeastern corner of Wisconsin. Every other year vehicles are placed on a roller, taken up to speed and the exhaust sniffed. In addition a visual inspection is carried out to make sure the engine pollution equipment (smog pump and A.I.R. tubed exhaust manifolds) and the converter were not removed.

Because my car is over 20 years old it can be licensed as a Hobby or as a Collector Vehicle. The procedure is I pay a one time fee of $140, pass the emission tests and take the car to a State Patrol Station for them to check. After that I can do whatever I want to the vehicle as it will never be checked again as long as I own it.

I talked to a Emission Test Station Manager about the rules on how they determine what to test. My original plan was to pull the L48 and swap in a 454 I have from a Cigarette boat. Those engines used Hi Per Pass blocks and have no stamped serial numbers, they are on a valve cover. The Manager said that their procedure is to check the emissions to the year of the car unless the engine has been replaced in which case they check to the year of the engine. Because the 454 doesn't have a serial number he would revert back to the year of the car. Hopefully nobody will notice crate motor valve covers have the center bolt design versus the old style.

I decided to buy a GM 350HO 330HP crate motor and go with the 1982 ehaust system to see what the outcome would be. I'm intreged with building a high HP car that's quasi emission legal. Next winter I intend to pull the cast iron vortec heads and have them reworked, as is they actually flow better than the aluminum heads on the ZZ4.

If you can beleive the Emission Station Manager he said that the local law enforcement agencies have been told to lay off roadside checks of cars here with Hobbyist or Collector Plates. He said that there was a huge problem for the DMV because of all the citations that were being written. The state came down on the law agencies and said they have better things to do. It seems the people who can afford to buy, build and license their Hobby and Collector cars also has the time and money to put up a fuss.

I have a feeling side pipes are in my future.

Eugene

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom