Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exaust upgrade questions

Bagoftrix

Corvette
1990 Bright red coupe
Now that I seem to have most of the bugs worked out of my C4 I want to up grade the exaust system. I haven't been able to get under the car yet, but I understand that the factory setup is not a true duel exaust setup. Any suggestions for doing a true duel conversion? Thx...

You have inspection to contend with so I am not so sure you can alter the way the exhaust is set up. It is set up with a cat on each side fairly close to the exhaust manifolds. I believe 2 1/2 in pipe.This feeds into a 3 in cat and then splits back to 2 1/2 pipe with the mufflers way at the back. cat back systems are available from a few diff manufactures.I build my own from 3 in stainless including building the mufflers. Turned out well but the large pipes I believe are the cause of the drone I get inside the car at certain speeds. So if you change the exhaust you may have some unwanted side effects.

The late C4 is a true dual exhaust. It just has a resonator in the middle.

Thanks eveyone!!! I've decided to do what I could being in california, and just get some Flowmasters. Car runs great already, just looking for a little aggression when I step on it...for now!

If your car is an Auto be careful what series of Flowmaster you get some will end up with very bad
  • Resonance.

Sorry, this may sound stupid but what do you mean when you say I can always shift out of it.:confused

Sorry, this may sound stupid but what do you mean when you say I can always shift out of it.:confused

Sorry, should have been more clear, If you start to get resonance you can go up or down a gear and change RPM's to stop it. [FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Resonance is usually induced at a certain RPM say 1800-2200 that is why it can be worse in an auto as that's about the normal rpm in drive at speed. [/FONT]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom