Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exhaust Filler Plates- Low Dollar or High?

Ron,

Your plate appears to be quite impressive.

Thanks

cruzer,

could you send pics to me too please? If the mail link here doesn't work, PM me and I'll send you my email address.

Tammy

Will it make it go faster, I went with the cheap one. To be honest , I don't think I ever look at one's filler plate, good luck, Jim.

MsSchroder said:
I was perusing Mid America's online store when I noticed they have the billet aluminum exhaust filler plates on "sale". (here).
..."Sale" meaning $80 bucks off the regular price, but they are still $299 :eek

These things look good, but I'm not sure if I want to spend $300 on something cosmetic.

I know I've seen cheaper plates around; my question is what are the advantages and disadvantages of cheaper vs. more expensive?

What are you guys using, and what do you like/dislike about them?

Tammy
I have a 04 Commemorative which of course is LeMans Blue and I bought a filler plate that is the same color and has the corvette flags on it. Very happy with how it looks and was not alot of $$$ Got it at the Corvette Museum store online.

MsSchroder said:
I was perusing Mid America's online store when I noticed they have the billet aluminum exhaust filler plates on "sale". (here).

These things look good, but I'm not sure if I want to spend $300 on something cosmetic.

I know I've seen cheaper plates around; my question is what are the advantages and disadvantages of cheaper vs. more expensive?

Tammy
i would be worried about the ones that clamp the 2 pipes tightly together because if you stand behind a C-5 and watch the tailpipes as one goes up and one goes down when you floor the engine. i would think this would put a big strain on the pipe welds. JMHO

MsSchroder said:

Tammy
========================================================
OK Tammy...
I am sure I am going to get a lot of crapola about what I did but heres what I did and I stick with it...

I went to Ace Hardware and bought a very heavy guage 12" x 6" stainless steel plate for $6.99(it is a stock item)(it has a mirror like finish)...then I went to the Chevy dealer and bought the original C5 Corvette emblem(part number 10258165) list $27 my cost...$15.92...it has the original self sticky stuff on the back of the emblem....it is the emblem used on the front and the trunk of my 2004 Vert...then I went to Home Depot and bought some 3M industrial double stick tape(around $3) and used about $1 worth of the tape for the back of the plate....I centered the emblem on the plate and put the double sticky tape on the back in the right place ...total cost including tax=$24.87... and please don't say it probably looks cheap because it looks as good as any plate I'v seen...(that is if you don't crawl under the Vette and put your face 12" away from the plate)...wait a minute....it still looks as good as the other crap everyone is spending a lot of money on:L :L :w

Torch Red,

That sounds awesome.... DIY and cheap....like exactly the kind of thing I would do. Now, show us some pics so we can see if it looks as good as you say.

Tammy

MsSchroder said:
Torch Red,

That sounds awesome.... DIY and cheap....like exactly the kind of thing I would do. Now, show us some pics so we can see if it looks as good as you say.

Tammy
MsSchroder said:
Torch Red,

If I could post pics don't you think I would have already posted a million pics of my Vettes?:( ...hey wait...I can copy a pic of the emblem from the internet..see below:L )
Just imagine the flag emblem that is on the C5(the 6 1/2"x3 1/2" emblem...its the same hard but flexible emblem that is on the nose and trunk of the C5) on a stainless steel plate that I described in my last post...its really nice...If you want me to get one for you and center the emblem on the plate and send it to you just email me and I will do it...only takes 5 mins for me to do it..and I will buy the stuff for you and you can send me a check:) ....
Heres what the emblem looks like>>>

39005.jpg
c5emblem2.jpg

now picture that emblem on a 6"x12" piece of stainless (mirrored finished) steel:D with double sticky 3M tape on the back:)

04 Torch Red,

I didn't know you were having problems posting pics.
Have a look at post #2 in this thread for instructions for resizing/uploading to the CAC.
If that doesn't do it, send me a PM and I can walk you through it.

As for the plates- I'm still debating* about what to do. Cruzer's carbon fiber ones looked pretty unique in the pics he sent. I'm waiting for a stroke of lightning to help me decide whether I want the carbon-fiber look or stainless. Or the z06 emblem or the crossed flags.

Tammy

*debating = procrastinating

MsSchroder said:
04 Torch Red,

I didn't know you were having problems posting pics.
Have a look at post #2 in this thread for instructions for resizing/uploading to the CAC.
If that doesn't do it, send me a PM and I can walk you through it.

As for the plates- I'm still debating* about what to do. Cruzer's carbon fiber ones looked pretty unique in the pics he sent. I'm waiting for a stroke of lightning to help me decide whether I want the carbon-fiber look or stainless. Or the z06 emblem or the crossed flags.

Tammy

*debating = procrastinating

the stainless looks so pretty from behind..the carbon fiber thingy hardly shows up from behind:D ...I mean ...how much can you lose if you don't like my idea???:L ...since you don't seem to be in a rush..try the cheaper way then if you don't like it you can always get the other one...I have seen tons of plates similar to mine and they look great:) and btw...I need to buy a digital camera so I can take pics...:L ...just don't know which one to buy ...too many choices:confused .....

I love Corvettes

hehe...just learned something new:L

ok, you talked me into it.
I'm sending you a PM.

I didn't realize your photo posting problem was as fundamental as that :L
I don't know what to tell you about the camera. It just depends on how much you want to spend. Then you just have to research.

Tammy

MsSchroder said:
ok, you talked me into it.
I'm sending you a PM.

I didn't realize your photo posting problem was as fundamental as that :L
I don't know what to tell you about the camera. It just depends on how much you want to spend. Then you just have to research.

Tammy

yes:L

PM received and return sent:)

VERY low dollar exhaust plate

This is a very old thread but it makes a good intro.

I wanted something different and I didnt want the usual emblem - there are enough of them and a plain one is boring so i designed this one. It gives a mechanical- all business look that goes along with the black color car.
BTW it cost $0.00. A price I can live with.

I've got the Ecklers Stainless looking plate with the C5 emblem on it, $40.00 bucks, sticks on with 3M tape and I think it looks great!:D

:thumb yup, been on for a few years, still looks as good as it did when I installed it.

I went with the West Coast billet for my Z16. It was the only one available at any price with the CE logo. It looks really great!! VERY high quality. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom