Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exhaust suggestions

JT ZR-Won

Corvette
'90 ZR-1 #3010
OK, here's the deal. I'm looking to do an upgrade to the exhaust system later on in the fall or possible near the winter. Right now I have Watson full length headers into a Flowmaster cat-back system. I don't really want to spend $1,500 for an X-pipe and full Tri-Flow system either.
I do want to order the X-pipe though. I also want a large single outlet style exaust tip......kinda like Chuck Mallett's cars. I was thinking: Watson headers into 3in. X-pipe (from B&B or Stainless Works), into 3in. aluminum pipe going back to ?????? mufflers. What is a good off road race muffler? I don't mind loud either and resonance is not an issue.

Jay

Here's a suggestion: don't go with any mufflers at all!! One car at BG had a system done by Marc Haibeck which had full lenth headers, and resonator, and staight pipe to the standard looking rectangular muffler tips - he could exhange the mufflers back in if he wanted - wasn't too loud - and WOW did it sound good. Because of the beautiful nature of the LT5, you can run straight pipe, and it just sounds wonderful!!:Roll

That actually crossed my mind. I figured if it is just too loud, I could then purchase mufflers and just weld them in place anyway. Hmmmm.....

Jay

Check out : spintechmufflers.com

Jay if noise is no object, how about headers to X pipe, X pipe to your favorite tips Corsa, LT1 tips, whatever you like with no mufflers or resonator, keeping it 3" all the way back to the tips? Should shake the locale police out of their trees or should I say coffee shops. Keep us posted on what you decide. I'm sticking with headers no cats and the Flowmaster system for the time being, but I could go with X pipe and no mufflers as we don't have noise or smog police here. Let us know what you decide and how it sounds, maybe post an audio clip. Thanks, 84 CF 91 ZR-1

Frank, I just recently heard of the Spintech mufflers. I wonder how they compare to Flowmaster or Borla?

Dave, I actually think I'm leaning towards running straight pipe first. If I like the sound, then it works out perfectly because I save a few hundred bucks with not buying any mufflers.......and if it is too loud, then I just purchase the mufflers anyway and pop them in.

I need to find out which exhaust tips I like. There's about a million and 1.

Jay

I may have the contact for just what your looking for ...I found the exact exhaust you described ...not sure if he still has it I,ll email you the pictures and contact name ....It is a true Mallet 3inch single tip stainless with xpipe...Stand by;;;

Thanks. If you could send a couple pics with some info that would be cool:)

I love my custom exhaust system with Borla mufflers.
I have watson headers into 3 inch pipe then going
into 2.5 inch then back into 3 inch pipe to the mufflers.

91zr1 said:
I love my custom exhaust system with Borla mufflers.
I have watson headers into 3 inch pipe then going
into 2.5 inch then back into 3 inch pipe to the mufflers.

Just wondering why it cuts back to 2.5in. ?

Jay

From what Ive read B&B 3" post the highest HP #s. There are couple of guys around here running spintech's on Fbodys...sound pretty good, but it is one ugly muffler. A perfect rectangular box...I don't care for them.

Disclaimer....I have not yet checked their website.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom