Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Exhaust

K

Kiwidoc

I have a beautiful red on red 81 vette. It has a lovely V8 burble but it's quite subdued. My kids want a bit of volume out of the exhausts. Someone suggested flowmaster mufflers but I have heard they might be too noisy on a road trip, any suggestions welcome...

I have corsa's on my LT4 and can't believe how many compliments I get on how it sounds, Long trips no problem. I would have them on my 99 but that has Z-06 exhaust on it. Talk to five people and you will get five different opinions , I wouldn't want my cars to sound like some of the pick-up trucks that go down the road trying to sound tough .:thumb

Problem is, your LT4 is in a C4 and the car in question is a C3. Corsa doesn't make a system for an 81 or any other C3.

Flowmaster makes great mufflers which are renowned amongst hobbests for that "V8 Flowmaster" sound. There are several different Flowmasters which fit a C4 and their sound varies from pretty loud to sorta loud.

What I'd do is put a set of 50 Series Delta-Flow mufflers on the car.

The cost will be modest and the change in sound will be significant but not that loud.

At one time my Wife owned and 82 on which she had installed 50-Series Flowmasters. It made a nice sound but was not too loud.

You'll have to get an exhaust fabricator to weld them in place.

I have a beautiful red on red 81 vette. It has a lovely V8 burble but it's quite subdued. My kids want a bit of volume out of the exhausts. Someone suggested flowmaster mufflers but I have heard they might be too noisy on a road trip, any suggestions welcome...

Simple Maremont Turbo mufflers reasonably priced, fits in the space well , good sound and no crazy interior drone try them should fill the bill

Problem is, your LT4 is in a C4 and the car in question is a C3. Corsa doesn't make a system for an 81 or any other C3.

Flowmaster makes great mufflers which are renowned amongst hobbests for that "V8 Flowmaster" sound. There are several different Flowmasters which fit a C4 and their sound varies from pretty loud to sorta loud.

What I'd do is put a set of 50 Series Delta-Flow mufflers on the car.

The cost will be modest and the change in sound will be significant but not that loud.

At one time my Wife owned and 82 on which she had installed 50-Series Flowmasters. It made a nice sound but was not too loud.

You'll have to get an exhaust fabricator to weld them in place.
Really, you think I don't know that my 96 is a C4 and the car were talking about is a C3 ? The guy was looking for suggestions and I gave him mine just like some one else posted what they liked. Just opions like I said in my first post. also in my opinion flowmasters really don't sound like muscle, just loud exhaust and also "they have to be welded into place" Maybe he's looking for something he can do himself. I think he should get more input on this. p.s. just for grin's why couldn't corsa's be welded into place?

Personally, I think Flowmasters are over rated. I like the sound of Magnaflows on the C3, and, like Flowmasters, you can choose the sound by selecting the appropriate length. They are also stainless steel for light weight and longer life...just my opinion.

Really, you think I don't know that my 96 is a C4 and the car were talking about is a C3 ?

I was unaware of what you knew or didn't know. Since you were unaware that Corsa doesn't sell any C3 exhaust systems, my assumption was that it was possible you did not know the OP's car was a C3. It wouldn't have been the first time someone saw a post on a C3 forum, but didn't look carefully and thought he/she was on a C4 forum. Nevertheless, I'm sorry you were offended by my assumption.

The guy was looking for suggestions and I gave him mine just like some one else posted what they liked. Just opions like I said in my first post. also in my opinion flowmasters really don't sound like muscle, just loud exhaust and also "they have to be welded into place" Maybe he's looking for something he can do himself. I think he should get more input on this. p.s. just for grin's why couldn't corsa's be welded into place?

Unlike Flowmaster, Corsa engineers their products as a complete system from the rear most cat converter or from the rear axle to the rear of the car. In doing that, they design each muffler to work in a particular application, ie: C6 longitudinal muffler, C5 transverse muffler, C4 longitudinal muffler with a resonator and so-on and so-forth. Corsa does not sell individual mufflers so, a C3 owner, would have to buy a complete exhaust system, cut the mufflers out of it then weld them to the existing 81 exhaust system. Pretty expensive proposition, considering the cost of a Corsa exhaust and that you're going to sacrifice the entire system for two mufflers.

And...once you did that, there is no guarantee the home-brew Corsa exhaust would work as well or as quietly as they do on the specific applications for which Corsa has designed a system.

Opinions on exhaust systems are like anuses–everyone has one and here's mine....

I prefer the Flowmaster sound. I've used Flowmasters since the company began selling street high-performance mufflers in the mid-80s. Flowmasters sound good, they work well from a performance standpoint, and, with the exception of Flowmaster's few stainless steel mufflers, they are priced such that they are a good value.

Flowmasters can be had in number of case and pipe sizes. My guess is the 50 Delta-Flow with either 2.25-in. or 2.5-in connections will work quite well on an 81. As I said earlier, my Wife and I had them on an '82 the exhaust system of which, from the cat back, has much in common with that of an 81.

I had Flowmaster 40's installed back in 1999 and have never regretted it ;)

It used to be more fun than skinny dipp'n..... drive down through the underground parking at the City of Palo Alto... Just "Rumble along" unbelievable the number of car alarms it set off ;LOL

I put a lot of highway miles on RARE and listen to FM/AM and the Cassette on each trip not a problem ;shrug

Here is a link to The Flow Master 40 ;)

Bud

(snip)

It used to be more fun than skinny dipp'n..... drive down through the underground parking at the City of Palo Alto... Just "Rumble along" unbelievable the number of car alarms it set off ;LOL

(snip)

A guy after my own heart!:chuckle

Lesson learned .:thumb I guess when something is in print it can be interpreted different ways, Pulled the trigger to quick. :beer

I went with a set of Magnaflow's on my '75. The sound is low and not too loud so I can't hear my stereo, but loud enough to let everyone know a Vette is coming down the road. Hey.. Chip Foose recommends them!

I had Flowmaster 40's installed back in 1999 and have never regretted it ;)

I put a lot of highway miles on RARE and listen to FM/AM and the Cassette on each trip not a problem ;shrug

Here is a link to The Flow Master 40 ;)

Bud

Bud. .. .What's a "cassette"?? :ugh

Thanks

Thanks guys. I put M&H (cheaper version of flowmaster 40) and the car sounds awesome. Very deep V8 rumble at rest, nice and loud under acceleration and no drone in the vehicle. I couldn't be happier

Dean Tasker
Rotorua
New Zealand

I went with a set of Magnaflow's on my '75. The sound is low and not too loud so I can't hear my stereo, but loud enough to let everyone know a Vette is coming down the road. Hey.. Chip Foose recommends them!

Magnaflows are good, but Foose and Magnaflow cross market, so it's not exactly an unbiased recommendation.

I have no cats with muffler deleted it sounds good when it gets warm up . Here is a short video on a cold start
player.swf

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom