Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Expect vehicle colors to brighten with economy, Chevy design manager says

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
SAN FRANCISCO -- Does it seem that a large percentage of today's new cars are painted silver or gray?

The answer is yes, and here's one reason: The economy has a lot to do with the color buyers pick for their new car.

Kathy Sirvio, global design manager for Chevrolet, says "when the economy is doing well, people tend to buy brighter colors and be more expressive. And, when the economy or the global outlook is down, people tend to be more conservative in their choices."

Think of all the TV commercials that feature silver or gray cars.

And there's a second reason for the popularity of those colors, says Sirvio, who was interviewed Tuesday at a 2012 Chevrolet Sonic event here.

"We are increasing the types of pigments and metallics that are being used in the paints, and so we are getting some dynamic silvers, grays and blacks that we haven't been able to achieve in the past," she says.

But for those drivers who are tired of seeing the abundance of silver or gray cars on the road, I guess they will have to wait for the economy to shift into high gear.

Vehicle colors to brighten with economy...

Hmmm

I must have been ahead of the economic downturn because I odered mine in 2001. On
the other hand maybe I'm just boring, no matter how the economy performs.:L

2721145520103361744S600x600Q85.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom