Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

extended warranty? how much dealing?

gcmlear

Corvette
2004 WHITE CONVERT
I have read a number of threads re: warranty, I was wondering how much one is able to bargain with the dealers on the gm factory extended warranty. Also is there an advantage into buying into it in year 1 or would you pay substanially higher on the last day of coverage of the regular warranty. I did ask the dealer these questions but it was a somewhat vague answer. I got a price of aprox $3000 canadian for 36 more months and 24ooo miles. That with 0 deductible.

gcmlear said:
I have read a number of threads re: warranty, I was wondering how much one is able to bargain with the dealers on the gm factory extended warranty. Also is there an advantage into buying into it in year 1 or would you pay substanially higher on the last day of coverage of the regular warranty. I did ask the dealer these questions but it was a somewhat vague answer. I got a price of aprox $3000 canadian for 36 more months and 24ooo miles. That with 0 deductible.

Check out Warranty Direct.com...thats what I got for my '04:)

I don't know if this would apply to a Corvette but I bought a new Impala LS on Tuesday. While I got a great deal on the car what with the GM Employee pricing, the dealer would not negotiate on the warranty prices. I can't remember all the details but if I signed for the extended warranty that day it was 6 years, 60000 miles for about $1100 (US). If I waited to the end of the regular GM 3 year, 30000 miles that same warranty was $3400. There were various other prices depending on years-mileage but I passed on everything. While I tend to be somewhat cautious with insurance (and am probably over-insured) I think these extended warranties are a roll of the dice. Must my $0.02 worth anyway.

Just be comfortable with whatever your decision is.

Ron
"Baldie88"

I went with Warranty Direct. I priced them versus GM and they were FAR less expensive than GM. Everything I've read about them on this and other bulletin boards was positive, so I went with them. I haven't had any claims, so I can't talk about service. Good luck! :)

The dealers can step in any time but this is my personal experience with extended warranties. First they only take effect after the factory warranty expires, normally 3 years or 36k. This is an insurance policy underwritten by an insurance co, not GM. They get to use your money for three years in hopes that you sell the vehicle before the policy is implimented. That way they only have to refund the original amount and keep the invested amount. That's why the additional cost if purchased late. Any work during the extended warranty period has to be approved by the insurer not the dealer. So immediate repair, use of a loaner and all the perks that come with factory warranty are not the same. Just my understanding and personal experience.

JimVette is spot on when comparing non-GM to the GM warranties. You pay extra for the GM warranty because you eliminate the hassles associated with aftermarket warranties. Since they are exclusionary they include many repair items, but not all. You have to read the terms of aftermarket warranties VERY carefully to determine what is NOT covered as opposed to what is covered. The GMPP warranty is bumper to bumper and since it is GM, you don't have to get approval from an outside agency. I have used the GMPP extended warranty exclusively for my GM purchases over the years and have never been turned down for warranty work on any of my vechicles at any time. IMHO it is a wise investment for the peace of mind, especially on a Vette.

ron said:
JimVette is spot on when comparing non-GM to the GM warranties. You pay extra for the GM warranty because you eliminate the hassles associated with aftermarket warranties. Since they are exclusionary they include many repair items, but not all. You have to read the terms of aftermarket warranties VERY carefully to determine what is NOT covered as opposed to what is covered. The GMPP warranty is bumper to bumper and since it is GM, you don't have to get approval from an outside agency. I have used the GMPP extended warranty exclusively for my GM purchases over the years and have never been turned down for warranty work on any of my vechicles at any time. IMHO it is a wise investment for the peace of mind, especially on a Vette.

WarrantyDirect gives you a list of their exclusions and everything else is covered...WarrantyDirect covers lots of emission parts(with their optional plan) , GM only covers several.....GM requires the old part for inspection and WarrantyDirect doesn't. They just pay by corporate card immediately. Yea GM covers bumper to bumper and leaves half the parts out...:L

Go check out their website WarrantyDirect.com :beer

or just look here for a quickie:)
clear.gif
SecureCare+ Coverage Statement:We will pay the repair facility of your choice for the reasonable cost to repair or replace any part of your vehicle where a failure has occurred, except for those items listed in the exclusions section.

Exclusions:

Battery; shock absorbers; manual transmission clutch assembly; friction clutch disc & pressure plate; throw out bearing; manual and hydraulic linkages; GPS/navigation systems; safety restraint systems; glass; lenses; sealed beams; bulbs; brake rotors & drums; TV/video/game systems; weather strips; exterior body parts/ornamentation; paint; upholstery & carpet; tires; wheels/rims; phone systems; exhaust and emissions systems.

(Unless optional Emissions coverage has been purchased and indicated on membership card. See below for coverage)

Maintenance services and parts described in your vehicle's owner's manual as supplied by the manufacturer. (i.e. oil changes, tune-ups, brake pads, belts, hoses and spark plugs)

Optional Emissions Coverage:

Air Fuel Ratio Sensor, Air Induction System, Air Pump, Anti-Knock Sensor, Barometric Pressure Sensor, Canister Purge Solenoid, Deceleration Valve, EGR Recirculation System, EGR/EFE Thermal Vacuum Switch, EGR/EFE Valve, Engine Oil Fill Cap, Fuel Fill Pipe and Cap, Fuel Fill Neck Restrictor, Fuel Receptacle, Fuel Sensor, Fuel Tank Pressure Control Valve (PCV), Fuel Temperature Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, Intake Air Resonator, Intake Air Temperature Sensor, Intake Manifold, Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) Sensor, Mass Air Flow Sensor, Oil/Air Separator, Oxygen Sensor, PCV System, Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve, Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Secondary Air Injection System, Throttle Body Assembly (MFI).

The optional addition to the policy is well worth the small cost of the addition to the policy.

I do not think that GM tells you what they "exclude"...the list is too long and thats scary not knowing what is "not" covered...:L

I wonder, with all the news about $ problems at GM, if they should go into bankruptcy, would all the warranties be null and void?

Emissions Warranty

If I'm not mistaken, anything emissions has an extended warranty as required by federal law. Something like 7 yrs or 70,000 miles; I could be wrong, but that would cover most items included in Warranty Direct's supplemental, would it not?

Warranty Extended

Ken Fichter says he has the best prices. The address is on this site somewhere.

wwr

I bought my GMPP warranty from Fichtner for $1260. My local dealer wanted $2200 for the same warranty. I waited until I only had a month left on my original warranty. This was for a 60 month/40K mile, 0 deductable warranty. He told me they only make $100 on a warranty. The price depends on the mileage of the car at the time of purchase.
Ed

Anyone ever hear of Warranty Services in Scottsdale AZ.?

They want to sell me a bumper to bumper $100 deduct. 75k miles or 6 year policy for $2530 on my 01 coupe with 12k miles.

TIA

gmpp is good.

i don't know what 3000 canadian is,but 3000 american is to much!Depends on year,mileage etc.i bought a 95 in 2000,with 30k on it,and a 2 year b to b 100 ded.cost me 1400 back then.When the tranny blew with 1 month left on the warranty,they covered it,inspite of my SUPERCHARGER that was on there!!!they also covered waterpump,main seal,and some other stuff.the warr.more than paid for itself.i am buying one from my credit union,auto guard,i think,3yr 75k 50.ded for like 2100 or something.a little more than i would've paid elsewhere,but now i can ***** to the bank,in person,if need be!!Good luck.

Looking For Ken Fichter

wwr said:
Ken Fichter says he has the best prices. The address is on this site somewhere.

wwr

can't seem to find ken's contact on the site. anyone? help.

thanks

j.j.

jimmiejam- found the contact info from my last conversation with them in April. Dennis was very helpful, and followed up with me even when I went with a local dealer. Fichtner's price was very good.

I spoke with

Dennis Fichtner

Fichtner Chevrolet

Laurel MT

406-628-4618, Ext 105

gmpp@fichtnerchevrolet.com

Tammy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom