Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Extended Warranty interaction with mods...

S

Skant

I purchased an extended warranty through my credit union when I bought my vette. It's a 4 year/48,000 mile bumper to bumper plan.

Reading over it carefully, I see an anti-mod section that reads thusly:

This CERTIFICATE does not cover and does not apply to:

15. YOUR VEHICLE if it has been modified or altered with any covered part that does not meet Manufacturer's specifications, including modifications and/or alterations to the VEHICLE not approved by the manufacturers authorized representative (e.g. oversized tires, headers, altered ignition systems, free flow exhaust system, & lift kits)

Now eventually, I want to put a Corsa exhaust and 3.90 or 4.10 axles in it. And I've already put an open air box lid in it.

Anyone have any experience with how these things end up interacting with extended warranties? I somehow doubt they would care about the air box lid... and I could just shove the old one on there anyway if it's an issue. But the other two...

In the Mid-America catalog, the listing for the Corsa exhaust indicates that it is an official GM licensed product. So wouldn't that mean that it _does_ meet GM's standards and therefore doesn't void my extended warranty?

And does a lower geared axle really count? GM does make 4.10 axles.

Even if these things weren't technically allowed, I wonder if I'd have trouble anyway. I mean, will a shop actually report to the warranty company that it sounds like I have a sport exhaust?

It seems unlikely they'd even know about lower gears in the axle.

I used to have a house mate that worked for a dealership as a mechanic. And the impression I got about these things with regards to warranty interaction is that they wouldn't cover it if some failure was actually caused by alterations to the vehicle. Most commonly people trying to get underbody damage repaired under warranty after they had lowered the vehicle and put skinny white wall tires on it.

That makes sense to me. But these mods I'm planning on are pretty solid, basic, non-intrusive stuff that shouldn't hurt the car in any way. I dunno.

Thoughts? Experiences?

- Skant

Remember one thing, you are dealing with "insurance".
By nature they will take your money and not want to give it back.
I don't mean to say they will all give you grief but just be careful so they don't try and use it as an excuss.

I would think any changes made would obviously not be covered (put on a blower and break it then ask for a repair on it).
They may not cover the blown out pistons ect because you used nitrous.
That sort of thing.

I had worried about this with other vehicles I bought and thought it was illeagal to deny covered repairs because of mods?? I forget if it was a state or nation wide thing.
Maybe it was in reference to factory warranties??

Then again I bought a new 4x4 and wanted to add a plow and the warranty said it will be void if I did this so I waited until the warranty expired to add the plow.

Not sure if any of this helps ??
Just some of my experiences

Skant,

I thought that those warranty's only covered powertrain items and I don't think doing a nice exhaust is considered a powertrain item.

You should really call them and get a definite answer on that. Not too many people buy and Corvette and keep it 100% pure! Even some of the people who are perfectly satisfied with the performance may do a meaner sounding exhaust.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom