Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Extended Warranty

c5droptop

Corvette
1999 Convertible
I should be picking up my 1999 Convertible in a couple of days (29k, appears to be pretty clean and has been checked out at the dealership), so I may be putting the cart a little before the horse but I was wondering what luck everyone has had with Extended Warranties.

There appear to be dozens of them and I was hoping to ferret out the bad ones and maybe get it down to a manageable number. The service rep at the dealership gave me a name, but I am guessing that there may be a bit of a kick-back involved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

c5droptop,
Welcome to the CAC.
This topic has been discussed several times. Use the search engine and I’m sure there will be several fairly recent threads you can look through. Then when a specific question comes up you can ask if anyone has had experience with it.

First Corvette?.....enjoy!

:CAC

one of the non GM ones just went belly up so be careful what you buy as down the road you may not have a extended warranty.

Yes, first Corvette.... very excited, but also very nervous.

I will search the rest of the site (as I only checked the active threads).

Thanks

I have a 1999 also, and when I bought mine I got an extended warranty for 1Source. It is a zero deductible and covers the car until it is 10 model years old or has 100,000 miles. So far I have used it for a repair to my cd changer $400 and the drivers door lcok actuator $350. Both were covered without any problem

RWLC5..
How much a year do you pay for this plan? Is it comparable to a bumper-to-bumper plan?

c5droptop said:
I will search the rest of the site (as I only checked the active threads).

Try the search tool, Click the search link at the top of the page then type in "extended warranty", then search. It will look through all the forums and give you a list of threads with those words.

rwlc5 said:
I have a 1999 also, and when I bought mine I got an extended warranty for 1Source. It is a zero deductible and covers the car until it is 10 model years old or has 100,000 miles. So far I have used it for a repair to my cd changer $400 and the drivers door lcok actuator $350. Both were covered without any problem

Ditto on 1 Source. I have them and it's great to know I can have my car repaired at the shop opf my choice. Contact them at www.1sourceautowarranty.com.

Extended Warranty -- what usually breaks?

I have continued doing some research and have at least a dozen companies thus far. Quite a few are going to be out of the running immediately for one reason or another, but that still leaves me with a pretty dizzying array of choices.

Most of the ones which are "bumper-to-bumper" are listing the items which are NOT covered as opposed to listing only the parts that are covered. Seems like it would cover a bit more, but there is still a lengthy list of excluded items. Below is an excerpt from one of the sites (edited and some of the obvious stuff removed):

Carburetor; battery; shock absorbers; manual transmission clutch assembly; friction clutch disc and pressure plate; throw out bearing; manual and hydraulic linkages; distributor cap and rotor; safety restraint systems...brake rotors and drums; all exhaust components, and the following emission components: EGR valve; EGR purge valve/solenoids; EGR thermal vacuum switch; vacuum canister; EFE thermal vacuum switch; EFE valve; vapor return lines/valves; air pump/lines/valves, deceleration valve, anti backfire valve, electronic choke, fuel filler cap, catalytic converter/filtering/sensors and emission vapor sensors...

I have been doing quite a bit of reading on the CAC site and see that the various control modules appear to be a particular item of concern.

I was wondering which of the modules may or may not be covered under the exclusions clause and what other major issues people have seen may also be excluded.

Thanks for all the help...

When I bought the plan 2 years ago I paid approximately $1,300. It is a bumper to bumper plan with a zero deductible.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom