Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

factory alarm repair question

cesully

Corvette
1978 L82 Pace Car
I have a new '78 Pace Car- I'm anal I suppose, but I want to fix my factory alarm system. I fixed the hood switch- hooked up the wire to the alarm horn and I get a low pulsating buzz sound- turn on the alarm from the driver's side door and it just gets louder... I've got some work to do...

Can anyone tell me about the "flasher" that is associated with the alarm- is it some where in the gauge cluster and what color wires are they?

Also I know there are relay(s) with the alarm sys- where and how many

Some wires have been "cut" under the dash driver's side- (****es me off why people cut wires) so I have to figure out what these went to...

Also- my courtesy lights won't come on when I open the doors, related somehow?

I appreciate any support / suggetions- I'm pretty good with electronics/electrical so please drop any ideas you have, I should be able to figure it out.

Anyone with a 78 alarm wiring diagram, can you post please- I'm using the Haynes book and it is helpful but not consice...

Best regards,

Sully

Where is buzzing sound coming from? the horn? Under the hood? Under the dash?

Horn is located up and under the left rear fender. Check connectors and ground wire. Relay assembly for alarm is in and under the interior rear (jack) compartment. Remove tray and check connector and wires. Also check 2 wires at key activation switch. Be sure wires are connected to hood switch.

Check the horn itself to be sure it has not rusted away--which is a common problem.

The GM factory shop manual has a good section on alarm repair; with wiring diagrams.

Do a search on this forum for alarm repair. Lots of postings and information.

thanks George... the buzz sound is coming from the alarm horn itself, located on the left front fender...

Sully

Sully: My best guesstimate--due to buzzing coming from horn itself-- is that problem is either (1) wire connections to the horn or (2) the horn needs replacing due to rust, etc.

Most previous postings have identified their problem as the wire connections to the horn; even if wire connections appear good, remove clean and then reinstall wires. Second most common problem is the horn.

On my 73 the horn is under the left rear fender; my alarm key switch is in the rear bumper----I forgot that on 78's the horn location moved to left front fender--sorry.

Does someone have a soft copy of the '78 alarm wiring diagram from the "shop manual" online I could print and reference...?

p.s.- George I cleaned the connection on the horn. I will remove the horn and clean and bench test it for proper operation... thanks, it probably hasn't been messed with in 26 years or so.

Thanks,

Sully

If your 78 is like my 76 then I can tell you where to find the components. Behind the pass. seat raise the storage door, remove the tray, and you will see the jack, now get your head inside this compartment and look toward the front of the car (it helps if you can get upside down in a Corvette) you will see an alarm relay and flasher.
Good luck

Any pics of the factory stuff?

Mine has the factory stuff and also had some aftermarket jazz on it.

All of it is crap.

I've removed the electronics of the aftermarket stuff, but don't know which horn is factory and which is aftermarket.

If someone could post a pic, that would help me.

Thanks,

sounds like I'm going to need a good chiropractor

WOW:eek

Sully

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom