Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Factory Alarm setup?

W

wolf_walker

How does this thing work, or did it? :)

There's a switch on the hood, a keylock on the finder, a button under the hood, a switch on the drivers seat(i think i saw one), how does this all play together?

When first firing the 74 up it wouldnt catch, played with it for hours, and finally pushed the little button under the hood, fired right up. If it had been made of metal I would have kicked it. :D

The FACTORY alarm

HAd NO provision for Ignition kill.

All it did ( on a 73 ) was anytime a pin switch closed to ground, a seperate horn went beep beep beep until that item was closed.

Mike

Well that's wierd, and it's a 74 if that maters.

Well what's the button under the hood, on the firewall, little to the passenger side?

It's part of the ground sensors

From the factory the two wires are white & black for the factory sensor( under the hood). So if somebody pries your hood open. open...BEEP---BEEP----BEEP---BEEP----BEEP---
BEEP----BEEP---BEEP----BEEP---BEEP----

The sensors are the two doors & the hood.

Mike

I'm thinking some of your alarm

Is aftermarket.

Yikes time to do some digging

Mike

Naa, not the switch like the one's on the door for the interior lights, theres a switch, retangle box, factory plug with a few wires in it, momentary switch is rubber covered. I almost want to say I read something about an ignition cut out tied to the seat, kinda like lawn mowers have for the blades, kills it when your not in the seat. Ring any bells?

wolf_walker said:

When first firing the 74 up it wouldnt catch, played with it for hours, and finally pushed the little button under the hood, fired right up. If it had been made of metal I would have kicked it. :D

I think that button has some connection with the seat belt interlock. Didn't the 74 has the seat belt interlock that would not allow the car to start unless the seat belts were buckled? I think that button under the hood is an over-ride that will allow the car to start in case of a malfunction in the interlock system.

The alarm system is based on a switch on the hood and one on each door. If the alarm is set and the hood or door is opened it will sound the alarm horn (located behind the driverside rear wheelwell) until the alarm was turned off or the battery ran down (later C3s had a timer built into the system that would turn the alarm off after a predetermined time).

tom...

Ahh, cool, thanks Tom73. I suspect none of this stuff works correctly, but atleast I know what I'm looking at..

The 74 had THAT!

I'd start getting some wire cutters out.. I have NEVER like the idea of no seat belt no start.

I'll see if i can find any info on that theory.

Mike

I think it's unhooked, I recall some dangeling wire under the seat from when I cleaned up the seatbelt retractor. Even sence that first time it's been fine starting, seatbelt or not. Wonder if the alarm still works, I dont remember seeing the horn when I did the rear end work, hmm..

Anyone perticular sell the little door and hood contacts?
I havent gotten most of my non-suspension stuff catalogs in yet..

I just looked in the NCRS Judging guide and it states that the seat belt interlock override switch is located on the passanger side firewall in the engine compartment. So it sounds like that is what it was.

To test the alarm, turn the alarm switch on, then open a door. If working then the horn should sound. The switches are available from all the Vette vendors. You can check with ZIP products on line at http://www.zip-corvette.com/ Besides the door/hood switches and alarm horn, the relays are located in the storage compartments.

tom...

Relays? Something else to hunt for.

Do they relay's functoin with the alarm or the interior lights? The lights work, so I should probibly leave them the heck alone, but the alarm might be nice to have working...

I just ordered new door contacts from Ecklers. $4 each or something like that.

wolf_walker said:
Relays? Something else to hunt for.

Do they relay's functoin with the alarm or the interior lights? The lights work, so I should probibly leave them the heck alone, but the alarm might be nice to have working...

Those relays are only for the alarm.

tom...

In the "storage compartment" behind the passenger's seat, you'll find a removable flocked box. If you remove the box, you'll find the jack and handle. In front of the jack and handle, you'll find both a relay and a flasher. This flasher is only for the alarm horn, thus the "beep---beep---beep", and not a continuous honk. The relay is not available anymore from GM. Its' function is to keep the alarm horn blowing if/when the door or hood is closed, AFTER the alarm is activated. If the relay were not there, you could open the door or hood, activate the alarm, and then have the alarm stop when the door or hood was closed. The only way to shut off the alarm after it's activated is to use the alarm key. The alarm lock on your car is probably on the drivers front fender. 68 and 69 had them on the rear panel. There are switches in both doors and under the hood. The doors use the same switches as the courtesy lights in 68 and 69...probably the same in your year too. The special alarm horn is mounted BEHIND, not within the drivers side wheelwell.....near the radio antenna. Hope this helps. Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I'll dig into it this weekend, see if it still beeps. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom