Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Factory Quality Issues

tcz062

Corvette
01 Z06/92ZR1/95LT1
Is it just me or are my expectations too high. To me a world class car needs to be perfect when it rolls off the factory floor.

Has anyone else see the Corvette quality issues?

The things that I noticed and does not seem to be getting any better.
1) Cosemetic trim materials and workmanship.
2) bolts not torqued correctly.
3) Factory hose crimps will leak sooner or later but long before they should.
4) Factory cast/camber/tow settings different from right to left.

Makes me wonder what would leak or break if I really ever put some miles on a Corvette.

Is it just me or are my expectations too high. To me a world class car needs to be perfect when it rolls off the factory floor.

Makes me wonder what would leak or break if I really ever put some miles on a Corvette.

with my 95 and my 04 I have not experienced 1, 2 or 3, however, in re: #3, I replaced both power steering pressure lines and the oil lines on the 95 with braided hose and AN fittings. If there was to be a problem, I preempted it.

I have experienced 4 on my '04.

I'll add that your expectations are unrealistic. No car is perfect when it rolls off the factory floor.

No world class car is perfect. None. ;)

I realize that nothing is perfect, but for the money you are paying for the car I believe you should not have any quality issues within a reasonable period. Corvette is an American icon and I think that quality should match the performance level. As with any product if you want to to considered world class then every aspect of your product must meet the requirements of world class.

My 1991 colasped lifters at 50,000 miles
My 1992 ZR1
Leaked oil from the factory crimps on the oil cooler lines at 23,000 miles
Pilot bearing out at 21,000 miles

My 2001 Z06
factory trim around front and back windows replaced 9 miles
Steering column lock recall at 3,000 miles
New front tires at 6,000 miles bad factory settings right front
Power steering hoses leaking at factory crimps 24,000 miles

My 2009 Z06
90 miles untorqued factory oil hose
90 miles disclooration in plactic wheel well trim and roof rails

1974 and 1995 convertibles no issues, but only owned them for 1 year.

I certainly believe that you have experienced an unusual amount of issues. However, As a member of a fairly large Corvette club, I've not heard one instance from any of my club's members that rival this. I myself have owned three Corvettes and have not experienced that much - not that my Corvettes have been perfect (but so far, my 2008 Z06 has been). Then again, maybe I don't look as hard as you do trying to find something (and I don't mean that in a bad way, it may be more a relection on me).

No world class car is perfect.
Assuming the BMW 7 is world class, I have a list and it is not of my favorite things.

Wanna see a near $10k repair bill?

Assuming the BMW 7 is world class, I have a list and it is not of my favorite things.

Wanna see a near $10k repair bill?

That of course was my point. No vehicle is perfect, world class or not.

No, I have seen many repair bills. The 10k repair for a BMW 7 could be for anything (computer controlled power outlet?). German cars can be very expensive to own out of warranty which is why the residules fall out of a non warranty vehicle in 4-5 years. Good luck with your repairs. ;)

Hey, plastic is plastic! Blame workmanship on UAW.
UAW, again.
First I've heard of this. Supplier issue?
GM just spent over 1 million for a new alignment rack system to address sloppy specs.
Probably nothing more or less than any other GM product. Think about it...

Buy a Rolls Royce. You will probably have none of your "issues."

1- Not really
2- Haven't found any
3- no
4- common issue it seems with some of the years. Our '06 wore the front tires out too fast probably for this reason. I get all my cars aligned every 8-12 months thanks to the roads anyway.

Hell I don't have to buy a Rolls, my wifes Durango has a 144,000 miles on it and have not seen a single quality issue. My "American Icons" are in the shop more than her Dodge, and it cost her 1/5 of what I paid for one of the Z06's. Seems to me that Chevrolet Bowling Green should adopt some 6 Sigma practices to eliminate defects from their process.

Wow, probably the first time I've head Dodge and trouble free in the same decade. The last Vette I had with quality issues was a C4. My last issue was my 05, and that was a part/tooling issue, having nothing to do with assembly.

Consumer Reports, never a Vette apologist, ranks the C6 as a best buy with overall average reliability. The Z06 is ranked better than average in reliability.

I know, it has been real painful to have to admit anything good about a modern Dodge and the worst part of it is when I spoke to Chevrolet about the issues they acted like I was not telling them anything new. No big deal.
Seems to me when you have a customer that bleeds your brand that it would be different.

No, actually I have NO tolerance for poor quality, service or design, no matter the source. I remember one dealer service manager who hid in the employee restroom when I came in for service, and I was 23 years old at the time. I've just not experienced all the issues you've piled up with your Vettes. GM doesn't do everything right, my SSR is an example.

There's always the Dodge Viper if you want to make a real statement. We all can vote with our feet. I bought my first Toyota in the 60s, the height of the Detroit crapmobiles, and didn't go back to domestics until there was quality parity.

the worst part of it is when I spoke to Chevrolet about the issues they acted like I was not telling them anything new. No big deal.

And that is the problem that is bigger than any quality issues. GM cust service is deplorable and has been for decades. They treat you like they could care less if you ever bought another vehicle from them. Any vehicle is going to have problems (including Rolls Royce), but it is how the manufacturer takes care of the problem (customer service) that will satisfy the customers and make them want to come back and purchase more work or product.

Generally speaking if you have a problem with your GM vehicle and the problem is taken care of quickly and correctly, it is the dealer and not necessarlly GM that took care of the problem and customer concerns. It is the local dealers that make GM look good in the service area, and believe me it costs them a pretty penny to do so. If you find a quality local dealer, stay with them as they can be your best/only allay in a warranty problem. ;)

Many of us have had various quality problems over the decades. Those issues led to today's improved technology and work standards.

Today there is technology that can and should prevent many of the quality issues that persist at a rate that is too high.

Many customers today examine products for top quality and make future buying decisions based upon their experiences and those reported over the Internet, magazines, and more. Manufacturers should ensure that their products are reasonably bug-free in component design, specification, and in assembly.

Considering the relatively low number of Corvettes that are manufactured per hour, it should not be difficult for those expert and caring UAW workers to work with reasonable precision to ensure that their handiwork is up to the standards of their promises.

Problems such as poor wheel alignment, misaligned, crimped hose installation, and imprecise positioning of panels and interior components should be easily prevented.

Top quality should be achieved, especially in the Corvette factory. This factory is a showcase producing a showcase product. The workers claim to be totally committed and they know that many buyers are very concerned with the quality of their output.

Imagine when / if Corvette production increases significantly. Will the workers then be so busy and stressed that they are not able to meet even today's quality standards for alignment and positioning of wheels, hoses, and panels?

There are a half dozen Z06s in our little group, and TOGETHER we haven't experienced half the problems mentioned in this thread. That number includes 3 engineers who would like nothing more than to find fault and "help" the service department fix it. If I had the problems some folks claim, I'd drive a Volvo.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom