Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fading Bumpers. "Too much Sun ?"

tj_82_vette

Corvette
1982 Corvette Coupe; brown
It appears my front and rear bumbers are fading. Not sure if it is wax build up or if it is faded paint. The color of my car is Dark Claret. The rest of the car is in really good paint shape. I just waxed the car and the paint is very shiny but the bumpers are a less shade of Dark Claret ...

Any Suggestions ??

Regards, Tom

This is a common problem.

Tom, You may want to use a polish. Wax is just for protecting. My bumpers didn't match either before I went to an NCRS meet in Canada in July. A guy from Meguiars used polish with an orbital polisher on the 82. The NCRS judges thought I had the car re-painted (it's all original) since the bumpers usually don't match. If you have some time, come by the house - I have the polish and an orbital polisher. This polisher will not burn paint -you can stop the orbital action with your hand, so it's gentle on the paint.

:w
Guy

Wow. Thanks 82-Guy. Would like to meet you and see your Vette and the Polish you used. If you could send me directions I may have time this weekend if that is convenient for you.

My email is tfenzel@bicnet.net is you want to send me directions via email.

Regards, TJ

Tj - wait 'til you see Guy's 82!! Wear your sunglasses.... Guy, perhaps you can share your Meguire's story from Canada wth TJ when you see him. :beer

Thanks to Guy for his advice on Saturday. Your 82 Vette shines like the sun !

Now using Mcguires prep polish to do the job. I have discovered I have layers and layers of oxidized paint on the back bumper that needs to be buffed out. Started doing it by hand on Sunday and have made some progress. Need to buy a buff machine to complete the work.

Thanks again Guy for your advice !

Your'e welcome, Tom. Thanks for coming over Saturday - it was great meeting you and your 82. Maybe I'll see you at one of the events I emailed you about. I almost forgot - the buffer we used on your car came from http://www.tools4less.com/ . It was the Porter Cable 7424. I know there are other brands for less, but this is what Claude in Quebec used on my car.

:w
Guy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom