Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Failed emissions inspection

glomonac

Corvette
1987 Red Coupe
I have an 87 Vette with 43500 miles on it. I've had it 1 year. When I bought it I had it inspected and it passed with flying colors. Now a year later I go to have it inspected again at the same shop. I've only put about 500 miles on it in a year. I'm thinking this is going to be a no brainer because I have hardly used the car. I noticed the tech re-testing the emissions 3 times. I asked whats up. He tells me that the New York State Inspection machine is not picking up any readings at the tail pipe??? He thinks maybe it's the machine so he inspects the car after me. That car passes. He says its my car. He wants to hook up a code reader but I'm already an hour and a half late for work. I told him I would stop by next week. He thinks it may be my oxygen sensor or catalic converter. I'm no mechanic but if either of those were bad wouldn't the car exhibit either rough idle, poor exceleration, etc. My car purrs like a kitten and when I get on it, it takes off like a rocket. The gas mileage is great also. Anyone have any opinions.

The State of Connecticut has suspended emisissions testing due to the testing companys software. I was in the same situation as you, I passed with flying colors one year and just about passed the next year, while putting a minimum amout of miles on the car. You may also want to try a different station.

http://www.ctemissions.com/

Be sure to warm up your car good before you have it inspected. Don't just let it idle to warm up, you need to run it at a constant 2500 - 300 rpm just before going on the machine for the test. I surely would use a different testing station.

Good Luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom