Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fair value of C2s?

I'm interested to see if it looks as good in person as it does in the pics.

With the value you guys are putting on C2', Im glad I'm not selling mine.

Tom said:
With the value you guys are putting on C2', Im glad I'm not selling mine.

Tom,

Don't feel bad, you just have to find the right customer, and you will most certainly not only get your money back, but make a decent profit to boot.

Over the last six months, I have sold two of mine. The first is a 63 resto coupe project with a transplanted 572, for 200K. Last week I also sold a 67 small block " driver " that was rough, and not only did I get a cool 75K, I was awarded the Restoration job, that will cost him an additional 100K to 150K, so don't worry about the future values.

A lot of people have not as yet realized that these cars are a disappearing breed. If you need any additional encouragement. bare bodies for " re-builders " could be had ten years ago at Carlisle, or any decent swap meet for about 2,500$. Today, you are lucky to find any for 10K, and even at that price, most of them are a piece of shÎt.

Just my .02$, but then what do I know about these cars anyway. :ugh

Stepinwolf

Bob,
If that is where the market in Canada is headed it makes me very nervous to drive. But of course a mutual fund is not a lot of fun as an alternative. Nevertheless those prices do give me pause to think.

Last Sunday morning I headed out early to avoid traffic and a soccer mom with cell 'phone in hand went through a red light and I missed a t-bone (into my driver's side) by about 1/2 second. I struggled through another 30 minutes but my heart was not in it so I parked. That is the fourth close call this driving season and it's getting to the point where driving enjoyment is minimized by such incidents. While my appraisal is up-to-date and agreed value insurance in place I lament the trend to inconsiderate and incompetent driving habits.

BTW, was the 1967 you sold recently not the 427/BB you purchased in Montreal? Your note above says small block.

merrick006-1.jpg

stepinwolf said:
Just my .02$, but then what do I know about these cars anyway. :ugh

Stepinwolf

Quite a bit, Robert.....quite a bit

I'll be upping my insurance coverage from the current $150,000 (approx) when the policy comes due. I've already been offered more than that in U.S. dollars, but you only live once, and I'm driving the Hell out of mine. ;) Resto-rods are bringing serious dollars.

If anyone hits me, they'd better kill me before I can get to them. :L

67HEAVEN said:
Quite a bit, Robert.....quite a bit

I'll be upping my insurance coverage from the current $150,000 (approx) when the policy comes due. I've already been offered more than that in U.S. dollars, but you only live once, and I'm driving the Hell out of mine. ;) Resto-rods are bringing serious dollars.

If anyone hits me, they'd better kill me before I can get to them. :L

Bob,

The coverage ( agreed value ) on my Red 65 convertible is 127K, and it does not include any of the " resto " revisions that were done last Spring, at a cost of 18K. I will need a new appraisal to have the coverage increased, but for now it's the least of my worries.

Paul

As far as I can figure out, the car was an original big block, then somewhere down the line I was told that it had been replaced by a 350ci small block, and then later, a replacement big block ( it's actually a 454, stroked to 427Ci ) was reinstalled. The only reason I mentioned the " small block " thingy, is because that's what the customer wants me to re-install, during the rebuild.

I don't know as yet if it will be a LS2, or maby yet a blown big inch, aluminum small block.

Just thought I had better make things clear no as not to hear any mis-informed rumors.

Stepinwolf

Three for two

If anyone is interested in knowing how you can squeeze three Corvettes in a space that normally should hold only two, take a look at the SWC, on the left side of the pic.

Easy thing to do, just flip it sideways. :D

Stepinwolf

side.jpg

Robert,

Some day, when you're all caught up, please start a thread with a series of photos showing your various jigs/dollies/etc. for raising up the cars to work on them, or for storing the bodies, etc.

I've seen them first-hand and Robert has great ideas.

outwest said:
I blame it all on Barrett-Jackson. :L :L !

Well, Outwest, it might be BJ, and it might also be my salesmanship, and the reputation I have for building great cars. :eyerole

One way or the other it doesn't make any difference to me, because I have reached a point in my life, that I now take it, when the taken is good, regardless if it's a Corvette, or anything else.

Too many times I have been left on the station platform, looking at the ass-end of the train pulling away, kicking myself in the butt, for not being here a day earlier. Now when the fruit is ripe, I pick it immediately, because too many times I have waited, only to have it slip between my fingers.

No car is safe, because to-day anything can be built, for the right number.

Stepinwolf

I don't understand those prices. Very high. Perhaps my ignorance of the current market. Looks like I need a new appraiser.

paul67 said:
I don't understand those prices. Very high. Perhaps my ignorance of the current market. Looks like I need a new appraiser.

Paul,

In my case, I made sure of two things when it came to an appraiser:

1) I asked the insurance company for their approved list of appraisers beforehand, and;

2) I made sure to use an appraiser (from their list) with a lot of experience in the classic, custom and resto-rod markets.

I had a value in mind prior to his appraisal. We were less than $3,000 apart.

You two probably have the cream of the crop of the mid years, a 67'. They seem to fetch a higher price out here than a 63-66. I can't imagine what Heavens' would go for, but they would have to back up the Brinks truck for it!

outwest said:
You two probably have the cream of the crop of the mid years, a 67'. They seem to fetch a higher price out here than a 63-66. I can't imagine what Heavens' would go for, but they would have to back up the Brinks truck for it!

Outwest

It is an accepted fact that normally, the 67 model year will always bring in more money during a sale, then any other 63 to 66 model, regardless of where it is offered.

Another thing to consider is the " resto " build of these cars. It would not be fair to a " driver " or an NCRS correctly restored Corvette, to be compared to this kind of vehicle. Over the past five years, these cars are bringing in much more money when sold, then the " regular " cars.

The only way I can explain it, other then the market, is the age of most buyers. Personally, what I have been seeing is that the majority of these buyers are reasonably well off, post war babies, who have had, or been exposed to these vehicles in the past, and like most of us, would like to re-live part of their growing up experience.

They actually want a Corvette that looks like something they have owned or are familiar with, but don't want the technology of a 45 year old car. The look of the " Old ", ( we also get better with age ) with the performance, safety, and comfort of a newer vehicle.

For the sake of an argument, a perfect example of a typical transformation would be " Paul67's " Corvette. A great looking car, I would expect it would also drive reasonably well for it's age, and a perfect candidate for an up-grade.

Here is a short list of upgrades, ( with pricing ) that would make the car much more fun to drive, safer, and increase it's value by more then 50%.

Replace the complete suspension ( VBP ) 2400$
Upgrade steering, and braking system 3000$
Wheels and tires, 17" or 18" inchers 2900$
with high quality rubber.
Replace engine and accessories with
the latest LS2 crate, from the General. 10,000$
Freshen up interior, with stainless column, Auto meter gauges, and a few other frills 1700$

For a total of only 20,000$, my guess is that I could probable sell the car for more then 50% of it's present value. One would also need to factor in some labor costs, but the sale ( " E-Bay " ) of the parts that are to be replaced, would most probably off set half the cost of their replacements.

One thing I can promise you, is that after having driven a mid-year Corvette that has been treated to this type of up-grade, one would be hard pressed to go back to a stock setup.

That's just the way it is :upthumbs

Stepinwolf

Done deal! I pulled the trigger today!

outwest said:
I'm interested to see if it looks as good in person as it does in the pics.

Here I am in sunny Florida and the car looks awesome! It is so tight - no rattles, shakes or squeeks. It drives like its on rails.

There are 3 small stone chips on the paint - one on the front passenger fender and two on the driver door. These are about 1/16" to 1/8" and hopefully easily fixed. Either way that is not a big deal to me. It will prob get a few more this summer :)

Interior is spotless. If anything I think it looks better in person than the pictures.

Only downside (although I haven't decided if its a downside) is it has a high duration cam. It will certainly sit you back in the seat but you have to keep the RPM's up when driving slow.

There is also a fiberglass repair underneath about 2"X2" that was done sloppy. You have to have it on a lift to view it (under the drivers seat towards the middle). I've attached the picture.

Couldn't have been happier today. It will take about 2 weeks to get it up to me in VT. Gonna be a long two week!

Nice car twoseater. Looks like you bought it from golden classics in clearwater. I bought a SS Chevelle a few years ago from them. They were pretty negotiable as far as the price was concerned. I have 66 vette set up very similar to the wasy yours is, stinger hood, derby style wheels. I ball parked it 4 years ago at 35k for insurance purposes.

BTW they still show it on their web site.

http://www.goldenclassics.com/cgi/d...ter&photodirectory=1812&thumbnail_url=L08.JPG

A number of the classic car dealers sell on ebay here is a link to golden
classics web site.

http://www.goldenclassics.com/

and here are his listings on ebay

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdancindan48

Hey BlackVette66 - it was from GoldenClassics. The car was on consignment with them. I flew down and thought the place was pretty cool. Actually, I enjoyed the whole Tampa/Clearwater area.

Apparently, a lot of the Tampa Bay Buck players buy cars there. When I was there one player pulled up in a big Escalade looking for a big block Camaro. Not sure who it was, after all I am a GB Packer Fan :)

All in all, visiting the shop ended up to being a fun part of the whole buying process. Glad I made the treck and visited in person. I think I did OK on the price considering the condition and what I've seen in the "Bring it back to life" thread!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom