Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fan not working

D

Drewser

HELP!!!
I was cruising around today, paying bills and such, stopped for a few minutes and looked at my temp gauge and it read 235*!:mad
I popped the hood and much to my chagrin I noticed that the fan was NOT on. I drove around a little and the temp went down as far as 166*, but the fan still isn't working. I read my shop manual to find a fix and all it tells me is to check Electrical diagnostics. Then fails to provide an electrical diagnostics section for the fan. I know vigman can help me but any help will be appreciated.;help

--Drew:w

Samething happened with my 87 convertible, electric fan had a blown fuse, replaced the fuse, kicks on at 224 +/-

Check the simple things first, Good Luck!

Drew,
You should have got the Electrical Supplement with the shop manual. They are a set. I had this problem with the 84 I had. You have 1 fan. The sensor that is in the head is on the passenger side inbetween the 2 cylinders closest to the fiewall. The relay is on the drivers side on the fender wall. You can short the sensor to ground I beleive and that will trigger the relay and then turn on the fan. I forget the pins on the relay you jumper to kick the fan on. In my case the relay went.
Graham

Ready set CLIP

On the pass side head
brown wire between holes 6&8
Black connector, single ROUND female pin. Ground that wire, Ign on, fan SHOULD go on IF the relay is good.

Relay is located under the master brake cylinder mounted ON inside of fender well.

Relay
Pin D/ power/ red wire/ fusible link @ starter stud ( always hot )

Pin C /power to relay coil/ Ign ON/low current

Pin B/Dk Green/White/ Line from sensor/ ground to pull relay in.

*note this line goes into the firewall connector & back out again this is how it gets from Brown to Dk Green/White

Pin A +12 feed to fan motor/Blk Red

Test 1
Ground the brown line( Key on ) if this spins up the fan your sensor is suspect.If the relay doesn't go CLICK the relay COULD BE bad OR the line to the sensor could be open.

Test 2
If that didn't work remove the relay and Jump Pin D to Pin A.

If D is hot and the jump didn't spin the fan your fan motor is KAPUT.

My money's on the relay 1st Fan motor second.Sensor or sensor wiring 3rd.

Mike

Re: Ready set CLIP

vigman said:
My money's on the relay 1st Fan motor second.Sensor or sensor wiring 3rd.

DING DING DING!!!
Mikey wins the whole enchirito!
After much pulling on the wrong harness :hb I finally figured out where the relay was. I unhooked it and found out that the relay was burned, and the plug into the relay was crispy too. Tomorrow it is off to the big bad chevy dealer to find out if he has a relay and plug and to see how much he is gonna bend me over for.
The good news is that I jumped A to D and the fan powered right up. Sensor: Good. Fan motor: Good (too bad...I have a spare fan and motor). Relay and plug: Not so good.

Thanks Mike!
--Drew:w

Er could I change my prize?

To an enchlada?

Mike

Your welcome!

Drop the Chalupa

Anything for my buddy!

Yo Quero

Corvette fever!

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom