Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fan relay (cooler engine)

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
Hey everyone. I remember a few posts about some sort of fan relay that you can buy from Mid America that will turn your fans on at a lower temp., however I cannot find the part in the catalog or online. Does anyone have a link for the part? Also, how hard is it to install? Thanks for all replies.

-Tatortot

It is located in the right front (passenger side) cylinder head (between the back two cylinders). It is a sensor,not a relay. Factory fan switch would activate at 238. The replacement will activate at 205 and cool to approx 190.
I researched my paper work and found I purchased mine from Mid-America (www.madirect.com)
in 2001. The part number is (was) 601972 and I paid $19.Call them to see if it is still available,I'm pretty sure it is. It does not come up on there website parts directory. Its very easy to install. You'll have to drain your rad to lower your coolant level. Hope this will help you out.

Thanks Dave! It helped a lot. I couldn't find it online either, so I guess I'll have to call them. About how much will I have to drain out do you think?

-Tatortot

22229stingray81 said:
Thanks Dave! It helped a lot. I couldn't find it online either, so I guess I'll have to call them. About how much will I have to drain out do you think?

-Tatortot

I'd just drain the whole thing. Just unscrew the drain plug (bottom of RH radiator tank) and let it drain for a couple minutes. After installing the switch,when you refill it,let the engine run with out the rad cap on and turn on your heater for about 15-20 minutes. This will ensure you have no air bubbles in your cooling system. I'm pretty sure when I called Mid-America (1-800-500-1500) about a year ago they still had that sensor in stock.

My '84 has essentialy the same set up and I had, essentially, the same cooling problems. Even after I installed a new temperatrure switch, the car would overheat in traffic and over time I had to put in a new radiator and fan and relay and then the whole circuit went on the fritz and I was down to looking for shorts and bad fusible links. Never did get it fixed, but I just jumped the whole, overly complex and unreliable circuit and put in an on-off switch for the fan. Works like a champ and it's never overheated again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom