Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fan Turn on Temp ?

C

CAJUN C4

Considering a 160F Thermostat and was wondering what Temp should I program the fans to come on?

And Please tell me what the Stock 180F T.S. "Fans on" Temp is? It's 95'

Thanx

I think stock they came on at like 217 off at 205 or it was 227 on 205 off. But I'm sure of one thing it wasn't set to come on at 195 LOL

Fans will come on at approx 228* (lo) & 235* (hi). Or "hi" with a/c "on".

If you have the fans programmed to come on earlier will you really need to change the thermostat?

IN 1984 the stock was on at 238...off at 201...INSANE!!:ugh
I've used one that comes on at 205 and off at 185 for years and the car runs much better.

IN 1984 the stock was on at 238...off at 201...INSANE!!:ugh
I've used one that comes on at 205 and off at 185 for years and the car runs much better.

I agree.I did the same thing on my 84'.Also added a 14" pusher Fan in front of Radiator. Really helped.

Cajun...I thought your name was familiar...didnt make the connection that you used to have an 84. I also added the 160 degree thermostat and found that I didnt really need the extra pusher fan. At least thats what I'm telling myself...too much $ :beer

I kept my OEM thermostat and checked the cooling temp with both gauges, the analog and the digital. The digital gives an exact readout while the analog is a guess depending where the needle position is on the gauge. I did install the manual switch for the fans and on hot days, I can manually have them on before the cooling temp gets too hot. On my 94 M6, the manual switch does help a lot in very hot weather, or in slow traffic. I had purchased the 160 thermostat, but I reckoned that if the factory OEM was 185, with only 53 K on the clock, I should not change it unless I could not control the temps with the manual switch. So far, so good, the cooling temps stay within the desired range.
Barrett

The ECM's PROMS can be reprogrammed so the fans come on earlier.

Thermostat controls warm up time.
Once it is open it has no bearing on engine temp.
Lower thermo means it takes longer for car to get up to operating temp.
Once it is there , fans control actual temp.

Thermostat controls warm up time.
Once it is open it has no bearing on engine temp.
Lower thermo means it takes longer for car to get up to operating temp.
Once it is there , fans control actual temp .

Of course if thermostat is stuck closed because its failed ...then it overheats. Fortunately they sell a fail safe one....it fails open :)
The thermostat does have some initial bearing on engine temp though. It effects emissions compliance. Thats why they set them higher from factory. A higher thermostat means a warmer motor and less horsepower and it much harder to reduce engine temperatures. (Think AC in summer)A higher thermostat makes the fan work harder to cool the motor. Thats why in later vettes they added the auxiliary pusher fan to return temps to "decent" temps. :cool

My 95' ,in 90F Temp.,never goes over 201-205F Max.even in traffic.

Just replaced my sticking thermostat in my 95 LT1 with a new 180. The highest temp I've seen on a 92 degree day was 196 in traffic.

Saturday I sterted it up the Low speed came on at 185F and High at 195F

Seems way too low with a stock 180F Thermostat.????

Fans will be on all the time???

Put in a 160* stat and you'll be good to go w/ those fan temp settings. I have a 160 in my LT4 and those are pretty close to where I'm set at...and mine runs nice & cool this way.

I might just put one in both 95' & the LT4.

Have them on Low at 185F & High at 195F?

You know maybe a previous owner had put a 160 in it when it was new and someone along the way put a 180 in it and didn't re-set the Fans.

Makes sense

Your theory makes sense cuz I don't see why a previous owner would lower the fan on/off settings like that and leave the 180* stat in it...unless he didn't know better.

My fan on/off settings are now as follows:

Primary: 190/180
Secondary: 195/185

:beer

Where's the best place and best brand to buy?

If you're talking about the t-stat, I have a Hypertech in mine. Do a google search for 1996 Corvette 160 thermostat - lots of places to pick one up. As far as the PCM reprogrammed for the fan settings, I found a local tuner that had the software...he reprogrammed my PCM for the 4.10 gears & did the fan settings.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom