Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Fast steering slot

jtbdd

Corvette
1964 datona blue convertible
just had my 64 aligned and found out the steering ratio was in the rear (standard) slot. I have power steering and assume it needs to be in front (fast) slot. Has any one moved them without having to have it re-aligned. If so how? Thanks.

You're right. It should be in the fast ratio position. I have never had a C2 with power steering but I always changed mine to the fast hole for a quicker ratio even though effort was increased some with a manual gear. Doing so will alter the direction of the spindle a little and the alignment will have to be done over, at least the toe in setting. Sorry. there is no way around it.

Tom

Hoping I could get out of it, but I guess not. Thanks

Only the toe-in needs to be checked. If you can accurately measure the distance between the center of the two tires at their most forward point and at the most rearward point, this will give you the present toe-in dimension. Move the tie roads to the new position and remeasure the two points. Adjust if required by turning each tie rod the same amount.

I'll see if I can figure some way to do that. If I try and don't get it right I can get it re-aligned . Thanks. Any other ideas are always welcome.

On factory power steering cars, the tie-rods were mounted in the rearward position and the fast steering holes were sealed with a rivet. Supposely Chevrolet sealed the holes to prevent an unsafe steering condition. From personal experience, moving the tie-rods to the fast steering holes results in the power steering being twitchy and very sensitive to steering inputs.

I was wondering about the difference, because mine steers so good right now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom