Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fender flares on my 69

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
I'm getting ready to paint my 69, just about to start with the primer. I have been thinking about putting fender flares on the front and replacing the back ones since one has been smashed and redone poorly. The back flares are a 3'' right now. But i can't find anyone that sells the 3'' flares anymore, all i can find are the 4'' flares. My car has 10'' wide tires in the rear but with the tire mounted, it measures about 12'' across if you include the sidewalls. They stick out about 1 inch from the fender (want to eliminate this). If i go to a 4'' flare the tire will probably hide under the fender too much and it may look weird. So if i go to a 4'' flare will i need to get 12'' rims? I would be fine with that, but will the 12 inchers fit under the flare nicely? I wouldn't have to do any modifications to the trailing arms or brakes etc would I?

Any idea how much offset i would need?
Also anyone know who sells/makes good flares? I found them through ACI but they want $748 for the set (4) Is this a typical price?

I'm getting ready to paint my 69, just about to start with the primer. I have been thinking about putting fender flares on the front and replacing the back ones since one has been smashed and redone poorly. The back flares are a 3'' right now. But i can't find anyone that sells the 3'' flares anymore, all i can find are the 4'' flares. My car has 10'' wide tires in the rear but with the tire mounted, it measures about 12'' across if you include the sidewalls. They stick out about 1 inch from the fender (want to eliminate this). If i go to a 4'' flare the tire will probably hide under the fender too much and it may look weird. So if i go to a 4'' flare will i need to get 12'' rims? I would be fine with that, but will the 12 inchers fit under the flare nicely? I wouldn't have to do any modifications to the trailing arms or brakes etc would I?

Any idea how much offset i would need?
Also anyone know who sells/makes good flares? I found them through ACI but they want $748 for the set (4) Is this a typical price?

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/Flare_Install.html

According to Chris McDonald...
DarkShark attempting to paraphrase said:
18x12 rear on a 5" backspace with 275 35 18

Chris used ACI flares in the article for his website.

We don't see him on the CAC very often- but kudos to Chris!

7kurt.jpg

Mid America sells the ACI flares for over 100$ less.

Here are mine:

4pu1un8.jpg

4ly0i7t.jpg

fronton2.jpg

"$100" less. awesome thanx man

Nice looking car very well done!!! Are those 10'' in the rear (maroon Car)
I really like the rims you have on that racecar, what kind are they?

Yeah, the flip flop car has 10" wide wheels w/ small spacers, you could easily stuff 12" wheels under there. The other car has 12" wide rear wheels but the IRS is a custom double a arm suspension and it's 1" wider than stock on each side and it uses 3/8 spacers for caliper clearamce. That's why the tires stick out. The wheels are revolution rfx modular wheels.

thanx for the pics and for the help. I sent you a private message.
J/w how expensive are revolution wheels? Never even heard of them

Revolution went out of business. The same type of wheels are made by german co. Schmidt, called modern line. tey also make the modular ones but w/ stainless rim halves. Mine are all alu. The RFX wheels are no longer available in modular race trim from revolution. They only sell the cast 1 piece street stuff now. http://www.revolutionwheels.com is their website. Back in the 80s these were rather popular racing wheels because of the light weight and stiffness. mine are 16" but you could get 17 and 18 inch rim halves. Unfortunately I don't have those, only a whole bunch of different sized 16" ones. Good 16" street tires w/ a decent width are impossible to get. I'm still loloking for some larger sized halves to upgrade my spare set so i can put some 300+ sized 18"ers on the rear and possible 17s on the front. The wheels would easily be several thousands of dollars if you could get them new. Custom sized schmidt wheels w/ stainless rim havles in 13x16 and 11x16 w/ stainless bolts and all would run you close to 1000$ a wheel, especially w/ the dollar vs. euro conversion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom