Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Finally did it today with the help of a pro, and found...

*89x2*

Finally did it today with the help of a pro, and found...

Found out it was not as big of a deal as I had been led to believe :W

With the right talent, anything is possible - I was told that until I experienced this for myself, "I wasn't part of the club."

I changed four of 'em the other night (yes, in the dark) :eek:hnoesand with the help of Magic Dragon, we changed out the other four - the tough ones behind the turbo discharge tubes :eek

I can tell you this - Aside from my good friend, Turbo Joe, the best thing to have for this job, is a 6mm ball-end hex wrench :upthumbs

Also found during the process, was much porting on everything and anything that could be ported :cool Holy SMOKES!!!!!! Ported EVERYTHING!!!!!!! :lou

While under the car, I changed the oil with some fresh Mobil 1 15w50 and checked some other stuff including the intercooler alignment - Thanks again Joe!! :beer

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

BTW, the 6mm ball-end hex wrench, made it so the turbo coolant line did not have to come off the car - job was fairly straightforward and with the help I got, a piece of cake :upthumbs

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ball-end wrenches :cool

ed_1.JPG

Geez, how often do you have to change the plugs? Have you thought about putting in some iridium plugs or something so they can go longer between changes? That sort of reminds me of changing them on the 80's F-bodies. Seemed like half the motor was hidden.

It was more involved, yet easier to do than on my Trans Am w/ headers :eek:hnoes

I am not sure how often they need to be changed. This car is heavily modified and I wanted to check them out:cool

Whooo Hoooooo, I DID IT!!!!!!!! :W

Plugs looked fine. They look like this :D

double_platinum_plug.jpg

I changed them to the original Champions though. RC9YC's. They are what Callaway used as an OE plug. Reading about them, they seem to be at the "cold" end of the heat range...

One person I talked with seemed surprised I could find them. They were a "stock" item at Advance Auto ;shrug

Plugs looked fine. They look like this :D

double_platinum_plug.jpg

I changed them to the original Champions though. RC9YC's. They are what Callaway used as an OE plug. Reading about them, they seem to be at the "cold" end of the heat range...

One person I talked with seemed surprised I could find them. They were a "stock" item at Advance Auto ;shrug

You can also get these at alot of performance boat shops... Mercruiser used these plugs on various motors in the past.... :cool I may be wrong on this but I believe they were used on 454 and 502 BBC........:beer

Hey Chris, Thanks for the thanks. I enjoyed coming out to give you a hand. With everything you do for me and us Callaway freaks all you had to do was ask. Some of those "special" tools you pictured are for other things than changing the plugs like removing the turbos and other fun stuff. The only tools you need other than those used on a base engine plug change is the 6mm ball end hex you mentioned for the 88-91 MY TT's and a long flat blade screw driver for removing the intercoolers. It also helps to have some WD40 and a pick to help reinstall the intercoolers at the ramshorn hoses. Happy New Year everyone!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom