Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Find any great roads ??

I doubt it. I only saw one other Vette and it was a red one headed the other way. I was lookin' for ya though. I headed up through there Saturday around noon or so. Good thing that you didn't turn by the Stewarts 'cause you would have wanted a left there. ;-) They weren't handgliding off the mountain anyhow. The view over the valley was nice though.

I didn't think that the color was all that great. It was ok but nothing like last year.

Remo said:
RT9 out of Brattleboro, VT through the Green Mountains. Then take RT8 west just out of Wilmington, VT into North Adams, MA. At that point you go south on RT2 through the Mohawk Trail. The roads are great with lots of turns and elevation changes and during the fall season the scenery is breath taking.

Remo:cool
Have you been up on the Kancamagus Highway between Conway and Lincoln NH? That's a great drive also. In fact, just about anyplace one goes up there you can find great drives.
I used to go fly fishing along the Saco River that flows along side that highway, I "think" it's HWY 112, but it may have changed designations. I haven't been up there since the early 70s. My sister lives up near Conway (Eaton), and I used to visit her when I was growing up. Fishing was fun, even with the bears.... but that's another story..... LOOOOng story short, mother bears are very grumpy when your trying to flyfish in HER river, and cubs are there too! What a surprise that was! Luckily I was 16 at the time, and still had good sprint speed up the embankment and back to the car.:L

After that, I looked and listened much more closely before committing to the river.

vettepilot

Dragon' Tail

We live near Detroit and have relatives in South Carolina. We visited them over Thanksgiving. We took the "RED' car.

It rained all day Wednesday. I-75 was loaded with trucks. Not a lot of fun.

At Knoxville we turned off to excape the maddness. We took the "Dragon" the rest of the way. We saw may be 10 cars the whole way. One was a C-1, Silver.
He had a grin on his face bigger than mine.

We plan to travel it again with the top down, and maybe in the "BLACK" car.

Thanks for the tip.

MCMLVII

Did the "Lake Superior Circle Tour" this last summer. Entered Canada at Sault Sainte Marie (the Soo) and traveled along Lake Superior's north shore on Canada Highway 17.
Beautiful drive, quaint towns with friendly people, people who mustn't see too many Corvettes because so many people went nuts seeing us! Even the road crews, who in the U.S. are usually indifferent, always shouted "NICE CAR".

Serious Adventure

Last week I took the wife and our new C5 up the California Coast (Pretty, Scenic, OK Road) but the real adventure started in a Northern California town Called Red Bluff. HWY 36 from Red Bluff back to the coast has got to be one of the most exciting drives one can make in a high performance car. It not only offers spectacular views as you wind your way through the Northern Sierras but it is a very well maintained road. In the first 150 miles of our adventure on this hwy, we saw a total of 5 other cars. Granted it was on a Monday but still. The road is the smoothest I think in the state and provides fantastic traction in the tightest of hairpins, sweepers and switchbacks. :drool: Make sure you have enough fuel to go the distance because the last thing you want to do when you travel this road is stop for gas. I've never had so much fun. We ran into a road crew clearing ditches and when I asked the guy with the stop sign about the traffic, he said it was busier than normal. This must be a secret road I thought. OK, the Secret is out, You have to drive this if you find yourself in this area. Take it easy the first 20 miles or so as you leave Red Bluff. It is very tight with a few blind turns that will sneak up and bite those not paying full attention. After that, there are plenty of warning signs and visibility of the upcoming turns. The last 50 miles or so you find yourself cruising through a few small towns which will get your adrenaline level back where it belongs. :cool

One of my favorite local trips involves this route:

Start in Colorado Springs, and take 115 south to Florence. In Florence, connect with 67 south and take it to Highway 96- this is a well maintained road through "Hardscrabble pass." For anyone who likes to experience how their performance automobile handles a twisty road through a really scenic area, that's a real treat. The road looks like it was virtually carved through the narrow canyons.

When you get to Westcliffe on 96, you connect with Highway 69 north up to Texas Creek, and parallel the Sangre de Christos- a truly breath-taking scenic drive (unless you're trying to keep up with a group of other Corvette drivers, motivated to really go- then only the passenger gets to appreciate the scenery.) At Texas Creek, get onto Highway 50 east and just before you get to the Royal Gorge, jump onto Highway 9, going north. This will take you the back way into Cripple Creek (one of three towns in Colorado where gambling is allowed.)

Cripple Creek is a cool little town that owes its history to gold mining in the early 20th Century. It's actually situated on the west side of Pikes Peak.

From Cripple Creek, you get back on 67 north and take it to Florrisant, where you will meet up with US24. Now, you can do one of two things here- you can go east, and head back into Colorado Springs and call it a day (and that is a pretty scenic trip through Woodland Park and Manitou Springs), or you can go west and make your way to Hartsel (the town that's supposedly the setting for "West Park." Not much to see in Hartsel, though.)

From Hartsel, you get back onto Highway 9 and take it north to Fairplay- and this gives you a chance to really open up the throttle. At Fairplay, you get onto US 285, a road that will wind through some nice vistas and eventually get back into Denver.

Either way, it's a fun, scenic trip!

:w
-Patrick

CORed91 said:

Start in Colorado Springs, and take 115 south to Florence. In Florence, connect with 67 south and take it to Highway 96- this is a well maintained road through "Hardscrabble pass." For anyone who likes to experience how their performance automobile handles a twisty road through a really scenic area, that's a real treat. The road looks like it was virtually carved through the narrow canyons.

When you get to Westcliffe on 96, you connect with Highway 69 north up to Texas Creek, and parallel the Sangre de Christos- a truly breath-taking scenic drive (unless you're trying to keep up with a group of other Corvette drivers, motivated to really go- then only the passenger gets to appreciate the scenery.) At Texas Creek, get onto Highway 50 east and just before you get to the Royal Gorge, jump onto Highway 9, going north. This will take you the back way into Cripple Creek (one of three towns in Colorado where gambling is allowed.)

Cripple Creek is a cool little town that owes its history to gold mining in the early 20th Century. It's actually situated on the west side of Pikes Peak.

From Cripple Creek, you get back on 67 north and take it to Florrisant, where you will meet up with US24. Now, you can do one of two things here- you can go east, and head back into Colorado Springs and call it a day (and that is a pretty scenic trip through Woodland Park and Manitou Springs), or you can go west and make your way to Hartsel (the town that's supposedly the setting for "West Park." Not much to see in Hartsel, though.)

From Hartsel, you get back onto Highway 9 and take it north to Fairplay- and this gives you a chance to really open up the throttle. At Fairplay, you get onto US 285, a road that will wind through some nice vistas and eventually get back into Denver.

-Patrick
how long are the two routes?

Ryan,
The shorter route, where you go from and return to Colo. Spgs. is 4 to 4-1/2 hours. The longer route, where you return into Denver is about 6-1/2 to 7 (but remember, you will still have another hour from Denver south to Colo Spgs on I-25).

When my Corvette club does our "Drive & Dines," they plan to finish up on the Denver route, and have dinner somewhere at the south end of the Denver Metro area (Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree or Parker) before everyone breaks up and goes their separate ways home. Since you'd be headed back to the Air Force Academy, you could probably caravan back to the Springs with a few folks.
-Patrick

Rain,

I tried following your links in the post above but they were apparently lost back when the server crashed.

I was wondering if you would mind posting some new info and directions re: the Tail of the Lizard because I'd love to make this a short weekend trip soon.

Hey - what can I say? The Dragon bit me and I need a twistie fix! :L

Thanks Rain!
:w Jane Ann

XLR8 said:
Rain,

I tried following your links in the post above but they were apparently lost back when the server crashed.

I was wondering if you would mind posting some new info and directions re: the Tail of the Lizard because I'd love to make this a short weekend trip soon.

Hey - what can I say? The Dragon bit me and I need a twistie fix! :L

Thanks Rain!
:w Jane Ann

Rain.....I'd like to see that route as well.....:D

JAG and Bert,
Sorry for not replying. For some reason CAC threads no longer notify me when they have been replied to. Go figure!

Tail of the Lizard: (this is the info/website I put together for the 3rd time I took a group up)
http://www.rainontheinternet.com/Corvette/

Feel free to ask questions -

Also, let me know when you think you will go, I can bring along some extra Vettes as long as we/I aren't already doing something.

Rain
www.msgccc.com

I was an Army Recruiter in California and I know 2 roads that are a must for any Vette driver, San Fransquito Canyon Road, and the Angeles Crest Highway. Both these roads are in alot of movies too. If you ever get the chance try them.

Patrick said:

-Patrick
Patrick, 115 form Carson to Florence was the only real trip I took in my Z06 when I was home, It was aobut 10pm My wife and I went to Florence and back to the Springs, I zeroed out the AVG speed display. and AVG,d 77 MPH including getting stuck behind 2 semis, and turning around. Hey you aren't a cop are ya????? I have driven both the roads you suggested. I am also very fond of a road that goes from Lake George of of U.S. 24 up to Fairplay. Steve

Bradleywrench13 said:
Patrick, 115 form Carson to Florence was the only real trip I took in my Z06 when I was home, It was aobut 10pm My wife and I went to Florence and back to the Springs, I zeroed out the AVG speed display. and AVG,d 77 MPH including getting stuck behind 2 semis, and turning around. Hey you aren't a cop are ya????? I have driven both the roads you suggested. I am also very fond of a road that goes from Lake George of of U.S. 24 up to Fairplay. Steve

No, Steve, I'm not an LEO, but I can tell you that during daylight hours, Highway 115 has become a favorite place for CSP to run traps for speeders. I haven't done 115 at night, though. The last time a big group of Corvette owners headed down 115 it was to Canon City for a club BBQ, and apparently on the way back, at least 10 club members got a prize for speeding from the Highway Patrol.

That short stint from Hartsel to Fairplay is on Colorado 9- and yes, you can generally get pretty close to WOT. ;)

-Patrick

For you NY, NJ and PA types, there is a road that runs out of Port Jervis NY and north toward Sparrow Bush.

Great twisties along the cliffs that overlook the Delaware River and one stretch has stone walls.

I know BMW along with a few other makers use that for commercial shoots.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom