Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Firestone Firehawks RF and Michelin a/s zp Tires

Blue260

Corvette
2014 Lime Rock Green Metallic 3LT/ Z51 - 7 Speed
These tires were mentioned a few years ago in posts by some members who replaced their GY/RF.

What are the views on these two replacement run-flats at present.

Do they still live up to the claims that were posted when new?

How many miles were you able to achieve - and were they spirited driving miles?

Finally, if you replaced either tires did you make the same purchase?

Thanks,
chris

No experience with Firestones.

Replaced the original GY's on my last C5 and previous C6 with Michelin PS2 AS ZPs and were very happy with them. The Michelin AS does not have as much dry grip and the original OEM GYs did - the AS ZP is an "all season" tire after all. The Michelin AS's lasted more than 25K miles and worked great in the rain. The only real spirited driven was on open road runs.

Both my current high performance cars have Michelin PS2's - not the AS ZPs. They really grip the road in warm weather but need to be warmed up when the road temps fall below 50 degrees. Still not all that bad. The PS2's are not great rain tires but are okay. Probably way better than the "CUP" tires that can be had on the ZO6 or ZR1.

If most of your driving is on the street and you actually drive in the rain, I highly recommend the Michelin PS AS ZP. If you plan to take it to the track also, get a different set of tires.

My vehicle came with Goodyear Eagles, non-run flat, ride was good, noise and traction average. Not sure how many miles were put on them overall but I did about 15k on them before they were down to 3mm tread life left.

I replaced the Goodyears with Michelin A/S ZP's, they were quieter and ride was better than the Goodyears even though they were run flats. At about 30k they were down to 3mm tread life left.

I replace the Michelin A/S ZP's with Michelin A/S ZP Plus, which have a higher treadwear rating. I have about 3K on those and as far as I can tell so far, they ride and handle the same as the non Plus ZP's.

Good luck with your choice. :)

I switched to the firehawks. I got about 18k out of my original goodyears. I think they were the supercar tires that come with the Z51 model, not the eagles. I got about 37k out of the front firehawks...just replaced the fronts, the rears have about 5k left on them. I thought the firehawks were very good overall. I'm more of an everyday driver. I may hit it hard on a mountain road every couple of months, but they handled well on the mountain roads too. I thought the grip was better than the goodyears on both wet and dry roads and much quieter. And the price is well less than half the price of goodyears.

Replaced the GY F1 Supercars on the front at 17k rears at 20k with Firestone Firehawk runflats. Have nearly 25k on the odometer now with no complaints for the Firehawks. Traction is better, quieter, and I drive a twisting road everyday to and from work which I love to challange. Fronts still look new with minimal wear, rears only have 5k on them so can't really see any difference from when they went on this spring. :happyanim:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom