Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

firewall paint

Phill

Corvette
1979 Blk L48
just got through doing some work on my firewall(79 vette) had a couple of soft spots and one large hole:eek. right now all the glass work has been done.wanted to know what i should paint it with. from the research ive done here i was thinking of using a primer sealer and a hi temp paint, maybe engine enamel.

Originally, the satin sheen (flattened lacquer) blackout paint in the engine compartment was shot on raw fiberglass - no primer or sealer was used.

:beer

Get a can of Satin Black Krylon, go nuts.

KrylonSemiFlatBlack.gif

Off the shelf at Wal-Mart. Near perfect match for the factory semi-flat black.

:)

i was thinking of using a hi temp paint do to the heat from the headers even though i will be rapping them.

If you have the thing apart get some Lizard Skin, its a thermal barrier paint that you can paint over with whatever you want, will really help keep engine bat heat from coming thru the firewall and evaporator box

where can i find the lizard skin product. i was thinking of putting a reflective foil on it but wasnt to crazy about how it would look or if it will peel after a while.

you can get it on ebay, its about $160 for a bucket, I haven't found a source for small amount, but I keep looking

i was thinking of using a hi temp paint do to the heat from the headers even though i will be rapping them.

You might want to re-think about wrapping the headers. First, it's just plain ugly. Also, I understand that once you put it on, it's nearly impossible to remove.

I recommend that you look into getting your headers coated inside and outside with Jet-Hot ceramic coating (http://www.jet-hot.com). I got a quote for approx $220.

Yes, it's more expensive than header wrap; but it will look a million times better than the wrap and will also probably run cooler.

C'mon - you have a Vette, dude... it's not like it'a Camaro or anything -- you gotta keep it lookin' classy!
:chuckle

LOL. i hear u 69. you know how it is, this started out as a small project and balloned into a large one. maybe ill wait up on the wrap as im not to crazy how they look either. my main concern now is prep and painting the firewall. thanks for the ideas guys ill let u know how it turns out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom