Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

First couple pics of 454 preparation.

Paranoid

Corvette
1970 454 4sp Coupe
Here's a couple pics of my progress. The block is painted with POR-15 Chevy Orange and the lifter valley with red Glyptal. This is as far as I've gotten. I know a lot of you guys like pics of engines & parts (I know I do) so here ya go. Let me know what you think.

All the pieces to the engine are now in the garage. All I need is some time to start building:

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/themoneypit//painted_block-3.jpg

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/themoneypit//painted_block-2.jpg

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/themoneypit//painted_block-1.jpg

Let me klnow what you think.

Len

For some reason, I'm "forbidden" from viewing the pics. Maybe my 'puter is just acting weird. Anyways, I'll be pulling my 454 as soon as I find a machine shop that I'm comfortable with. Hopefully, it won't be too long. I'm not sure whether I'll have them do the short block assembly or not. I haven't even decided on a compression ratio or pistons, much less a cam. :( I figure at least I can get the basics out of the way, first.

Len, did you pull the transmission with the motor? Any problems?

--Bullitt

Bullitt---my engine came out of an '87 Suburban. I bought it without the tranny.

When I pull the 350 out of my Vette I was planning on pulling the tranny too. Steve Straus posted detailed photos and it didn't look too difficult. Don't know about the BB you're pulling though.----but on the other hand I was planning on installing the engine/tranny together.

I'm not kicking out for the aluminum heads just yet, but that is the same intake I'll be using! I have a Holley 750 with a 50cc kit sitting in the garage, but I'm seriously considering selling it and popping for a Speed Demon or Mighty Demon. It all hinges on whether I really build the motor to supercharger specs.

My Turbo 400 was rebuilt awhile back and I never really put a whole lot of miles on it. I can't wait to yank the whole damn thing out. That engine compartment really looks bad. I'll go with a flat black paint all over, but the front-half of the frame is getting POR-15 like the rest of the car.

I really need to clean up the garage, though. As soon as it rains, I'll be out there. I can't believe how much I sweated when I switched out the doorbell yesterday! They say Satan left Houston, because it was cooler in Hell. :L

--Bullitt

Len,

Nice site. I couldn't get in to sign your guest book though. Looks like the engine project is coming right along. I'm also a big fan of the L88 hoods and the Baldwin Motion paint layout. Your car is going to be awesome with the big block in it.

Where did you get the Lemans fuel filler cap?

Tom

Thanks Tom. Yeah the engine is coming along but I ran into another possible engine shop trip. I'm told my main bearing clearances aren't enough. I've got #1-#4 @0.002 and some builders are telling be I need 0.0025!!:eek In the rebuild manuals I have, my readings are within the tolerances. The manuals also recommend rebuilding a BB "tight" rather than loose.??? I don't know what to do. I really didn't want to haul the block back to the shop. I'm not building a super Hi-po BB, just a potent one.

I purchased the LeMan's fuel filler from http://www.cobraaccessories.com for about $122+shipping.
Go to the Cobra page and then I think it's on page 6 under "Monza".
There's a page on my site describing the fabrication of the flange which bolts the filler directly to the tank.---Much like a real racing vehicle. ;) "Rolling Thunder" was instrumental in fabricating the flange.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom