Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

first new vette questions

vetteKID

Corvette
74 L-48 coupe & 85 454 coupe
two questions...where are the high beams, and my speedo doesnt work, what could be wrong, cable? actual guage? what do you guys think?

The high-beam switch is under the carpet on the left side of your pedals. The bulbs are located next to the low-beams :)

The cable is usually the problem with the speedo & tach so check it first then deal with the speedo gage as a last resort.

Hope this helps.

I agree with CABLE

So ( If memory serves ) the TIP of the speedo cable is NYLON on one end.. ( and I'm thinking the speedo side) the ends get rounded and no spinny.

If I'm thinking of a later model, the problem is the cable gets rusted and binds and the actual cable snaps internally.

So try the following,

Jack the car up.....PROPERLY

Put car in neutral

Crawl under there.

Disconnect the speedo cable.

Have assistant turn rear wheels

Watch tang( where the cable hooks into ) in tail shaft to see if it spins..

Inspect cable...

I think you can pull the entire cable out via the bottom...

re lube it ( if it looks OK)

I like to use WATERPROOF boat trailer bearing grease..it's a BLUE MESS to work with... but it does a GREAT job for this kinda stuff!

Slip it back in..

Now the mating part at the back of the speedo SHOULD be a square and NOT rounded out make sure that when you get it back in you turn it as your slipping it back and it should jump back into the hole.. up behind the dash..... have your assistant open the door and watch the speedo... you spin the cable down there...

Does it work... are you spinning the right direction?

the other thing...is I forget if the speedo sleeve ( on back of speedo) is a spring retainer or a threaded deal... make sure it's seated as well ( not disconnected)

Good luck!

Vig!

Further Speedo info

So on the Speedo side... it looks like a threaded retainer on the back of the cluster.

Down by the tranny... from the factory... there SHOULD be an adaptor that adjusts the gearing out of the tranny & makes a 90 degree turn so the cable doesn't bind..

Check that out too!

Vig!

Hey Vig, Is the procedure to get to the gear in the tranny for the speedometer the same? I have a little fluid leak there and I don't want to open a drain point in the tranny by taking the cover off the gear.

I recall NOT getting any fluid from the speedo hole.

I beliecve the gears are color coded. It may be a small seal that is bad; perhaps just a rubber O-ring.

:w

Speedo cable connection to the tranny should not drip fluid once the cable is removed. If you do, you likely have an internal seal that is bad. Vig is right..... the ends can easily become "rounded" if the cable is not properly lubricated. This is typical on late model C3's with those stupid transducer cruise control units.

........... Nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom