Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

First Oil Change

gonetobama13

Corvette
2004 Spiral Gray Metallic Coupe 6-speed
Is it necessary to change the oil on my 2004 Vette after a few thousand miles to remove the metal "slivers" that result from a new engine? This used to be the rule with the older cars, but I don't know if it's still applicable today. Thanks.
John

It is still applicable today. Metal still wears. Be sure and change the filer also. Have a great time in the great new ride.
Paul

I just got a 2004 Z06. First oil change was at 500 miles, second will be at 1000, third at 2000, and then every two to three thousand (or 4 months) after that.

Why?

1) Break in to 2000 miles (first 500 most important and most wear)

2) Although the oil (Mobil 1) will not break down in 3000 miles, it will get just as dirty, so it gets changed. Also, each oil change also receives a new AC Delco (PF46) filter.

first oil change and everyone there after

Take the new oil filter and fill it with new oil. Just keep topping off the filter until it comes almost to the top of the thread hole. Let the oil saturate the into the pleats. Now when you install that brand new filter, you will have instant oil pressure, instead of waiting for the filter to be filled by the oil pump. This is an old racing trick. The logic is used to save some parts from contacting each other (metal to metal) within a few seconds of non-oil pressure.

Rsimoes, you might be over-maintaining your car if you plan on changing the oil and filter every 3000 miles after the first 3000 mile interval. I changed the oil and filter at 500 miles and again at 3000 and 5000. Thereafter, I plan on changing at 5000 mile intervals.

Gonetobama13 (and everyone else), regardless of what change interval you decide on, I would at a minimum use Mobil 1. There are an almost infinite amount of opinions about which synthetic oil to use. GM chose Mobil 1 - there has to be a pretty compelling reason (or reasons) for such a decision; I am not a lubrication engineer, so what is good enough for GM is good enough for me.

I have been using Amsoil since the first change and have also been having Terry Dyson conduct an oil analysis at each change. I have found that Amsoil is doing a good job and plan to stick with it. In general, Mobil-1 has not done as good a job with the LS-1 as some of the other oils. Mobil-1 also plans the introduction of a new oil this spring, it may be for the C-6 and is rumored to be vastly superior to the current product. Mobil-1 5W-30 & 10W30 do not meet ACEA A3 standards, however their 0W-40 does. This is a very strict European standard. Amsoil does meet it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom