Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

First project done...

LordVader

Corvette
1980 Black / Oyster int,1985 Red/Grey int, 1994 gr
Well I have the first project on my Vette done.

over the last week I developed a header gasket leak on the right side of engine. So I went and got set of header gaskets, collector gaskets, and new header bolts, (due to the fact one of the old bolts had backed itself out and was lost, and the one in front of that was almost all the way out).

and while I was feeling froggy I put a net set of Monroe shocks on the rear end. needless to say she sounds much better, and rides better.:thumb

Mike.

After Market Headers?

If you're running headers as opposed to stock exhaust manifolds, depending on the make & model, losing bolts and gaskets blowing out is common. There are locks you can add to the bolts that will stop that before it happens again.:thumb

Oh good deal I will have to check into that. the headers are Hooker Comps.
Thanks.

Mike.

For the first couple of weeks after installing new gaskets, re-torque about every other heat-cool cycle. Then back off to once a week, then every 2 weeks. Header flanges move, gaskets crush and shrink and they get loose. Best and cheapest option is to stay after them with the wrench. My first set of headers (in 1970) I went thru a basket of gaskets and a large collection of bolts. Once I figured out I needed to pay more attention to them, it's over. I put new headers on the 69 about 2-1/2 years ago- same gaskets and all the bolts. Just keep them tight until they learn to stay that way.

For the first couple of weeks after installing new gaskets, re-torque about every other heat-cool cycle. Then back off to once a week, then every 2 weeks. Header flanges move, gaskets crush and shrink and they get loose. Best and cheapest option is to stay after them with the wrench. My first set of headers (in 1970) I went thru a basket of gaskets and a large collection of bolts. Once I figured out I needed to pay more attention to them, it's over. I put new headers on the 69 about 2-1/2 years ago- same gaskets and all the bolts. Just keep them tight until they learn to stay that way.
I second that. When you're tightening, start in the middle and work your way out in both directions (back & forth).

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom