Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

First silver/charcoal

lauderdalesun

Corvette
1981 silver/charcoal gray
Hello.....Is there anyway to research the production sequence for the first corvettes to roll off the assembly line in 1981 at the Bowling Green assembly plant? My vin # indicates that mine was the 350th produced. Among the small number of those registered on the L81 corvette registry site, it indicates that mine is the first silver/charcoal gray corvette made. The actual first two tone vette in this combination might not be registered so I don't know where mine comes in. Does anyone out there have a silver over charcoal with a vin# lower than 100350?
Thanks for checking..........Bob

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Bob.

I'm going to move your thread into the 1981 L81 Vette Registry forum for greater exposure...

1st Welcome to CAC!!!

I don't know if there is a way to tell where yours comes in for the paint sequence,
but you can tell what day it was built by decoding the the trim tag located in the drivers door jamb...
perhaps the corvette museum may have info on what your looking for as well.

I'm not sure that any precise records like that were kept in those days?? Can anyone confirm that?

Elaine

P.S. Welcome!!

Thanks for the help.........Hopefully I can connect with someone who has the silver/charcoal combo with a lower vin#.
It's good to be here!

Welcome to corvette action center

Welcome aboard Bob we're glad you've joined us :happyanim:

-Bill

...you can tell what day it was built by decoding the the trim tag...

Close. Bowling Green trim tags only list the month and week of the month the car was assembled. 81 St. Louis cars continued to use the old style trim tag which listed a time/build date code.

Lauderdale: contact the NCM and see if you can obtain a copy of the build schedule for your car. The schedule will get you closer to an actual assembly date since it will list the day the assembly of your car was scheduled to begin. https://store.corvettemuseum.com/services/buildsheet.asp

Even with that informaiton, it may not be possible to determine whether your car was the first two tone silver.

:thumb

Last edited:
Close. Bowling Green trim tags only list the month and week of the month the car was assembled. 81 St. Louis cars continued to use the old style trim tag which listed a time/build date code.

Lauderdale: contact the NCM and see if you can obtain a copy of the build schedule for your car. The schedule will get you closer to an actual assembly date since it will list the day the assembly of your car was scheduled to begin. https://store.corvettemuseum.com/services/buildsheet.asp

Even with that informaiton, it may not be possible to determine whether your car was the first two tone silver.

Thanks Mike...I appreciate the input

If you know the total number of silver/charcoal vettes that were produced in '81 and given the unlikely fact that they were ordered in a even matter then you can statisticly calculate how many where produced before your #350. But that is still a good guess of course.

Greetings Peter

...If you know the total number of silver/charcoal vettes that were produced in '81 and given the unlikely fact that they were ordered in a even matter then you can statisticly calculate how many where produced before your #350. But that is still a good guess of course. Greetings Peter...

If you want to do the math, keep in mind the first fifty Bowling Green cars were beige\dark bronze.
vemp-1202-1981-corvette-coupes-alpha-and-omega-000x-1.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom