Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

first time at dragstrip

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
well, I took my '65 down the dragstrip for the very first time today.

Mason Dixon chapter NCRS held their annual "Corvette Challenge" today at the Cecil County dragstrip in Rising Sun, MD. I've gone to this even before for the last 2 or 3 years but one thing or another prevented me from running the car but this year I could and decided what the h*ll.

I've never run this car nor any other car ever on a dragstripso it was a learning experience as I figured it would be. I learned I need a LOT more practice before I know what i'm doing and before I can get any decent times! :eyerole

I made four runs and actually my very first run was my best and than they got progressively worst. Oh well.
Actually, I don't think my first eun was all THAT bad considering my car is 100% stock and it was my very first time doing it.
I made bad mistakes on my launches on the next two runs and than when I tried to correctl them on my last run I just simply sat there burning rubber at first and than ended up missing a shift so we won't even talk about that last run at all....

anyway, for my first run which was my best time here are the results:

r/t = .583
60'= 2.349
330= 6.226
1/8= 9.426
MPH= 77.12
1000= 12.162
1/4= 14.466
MPH= 98.12

this is with my '65 coupe. stock L76 327/365. 4.11 rear gears. 205/75-15 radial street tires. I had about 1/2 tank of 93 octane in here but than topped it off with 110 racing fuel at the track. I'm sure the racing fuel makes NO difference but I figured why not put some in anyway. Actually, I guess it was dumb to do that since it just added more weight to the car.

I figure my reaction time needs a lot of improvement but that just takes practive and getting use to the tree lights I'd imagine. Looking at the other time slips I did get my reaction time down to .332 on one run. Ironically it was the last run which was my worst.

My buddy staged next to me on that last bad run I made and his reaction time was only .008 to my .332. Yep, I need a lot of practice. :ugh

Oh well, maybe if I ever do it again I'll do a little better. Regardless, it was still a lot of fun and I'm glad I did it. I can see how it's very additive for a lot of people...

BTW, ChuckG was there running his '69 BB tri-power and he broke into the 13's.... :)

Barry,

That's not bad for a beginner. Were you leaving on the 2nd yellow light? If not, that would explain the reation time. You leave on the 2nd yellow light, in case no one told you.

I assume you had skinny stock radials on. With some drag radials, you probably could pick up 1/2 a second or more on your 60' which put you into 13's. With drag radials you should be a 1.8 to 1.9. With slicks you could be in the 1.5 to 1.6's.

You just have to be careful though, drag racing it gets addictive. :D

Chuck

the second light? No, I was afraid that would have been too soon. By the second light I made sure my rev's were up and I pretty much was trying to dump the clutch on the 3rd yellow light so I'd be starting to move on the green light. Of course based on my best R/T of .332 I guess maybe the 2nd light would have been better.....

yep, stock street radials and they are lousy tires too.

I can easily see how additive drag racing can get - it was a blast and I had a ton of fun! :) I can also see how it could get real expensive real fast, always needing something else to get a faster and a quicker time... not to mention the expense of broken parts. But I can see where it's worth it too. :)

Barry,

You are right, it was late and I don't know what I was thinking. You leave on the last yellow light.

When staging, you light the first staging light then bring up your rpms and light the last staging light. When the last yellow light comes on, you leave.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Chuck

The starting line is actually about 18" in front of where you stage. The elapsed time is independent of the reaction time. Rou could have a 15 second reaction time and still run a 14 second pass. Of course, you would lose. :LThe clock starts when you cross the start line.

The starting line is actually about 18" in front of where you stage. The elapsed time is independent of the reaction time. Rou could have a 15 second reaction time and still run a 14 second pass. Of course, you would lose. :LThe clock starts when you cross the start line.

Your right, but the 60'ft time is part of the elapsed time. So if you lower your 60' to 1.8 (his was 2.3) you would see even a larger decrease(more the .5) by the end of the quarter.

Reaction will help with the win light at the other end.

Chuck

Your right, but the 60'ft time is part of the elapsed time. So if you lower your 60' to 1.8 (his was 2.3) you would see even a larger decrease(more the .5) by the end of the quarter.

Reaction will help with the win light at the other end.

Chuck

I absolutely agree. I get 1.8 to 1.9 on drag radials (2.3 or so on street tires), and it was a direct improvement on the et.

well, I guess I have until the same event again next year to "practice"..... ;LOL

Barry
Those were very respectable times. I bet that you were very traction limited with the relatively narrow highway tires. But they were good runs!
Jim

Barry
Those were very respectable times. I bet that you were very traction limited with the relatively narrow highway tires. But they were good runs!
Jim

Thanks :) I'm really not at all too unhappy with those times since I know it was my first time but they can be improved........ :D

I was told by people that know that track that it was the slipperiest they had ever seen it be before and it seems noone was hooking up well.
My friend who has been racing there for years was about .3 - .4 off his normal times this year because of that he said.

and yes, i'm sure my tires had a lot to do with it too. They are only 205/75-15's and they suck. I really do want to get better tires but the tread is still so good on them and the budget is so tight right now that it's hard to justify the expense

Very Cool ..B Man... And..you didn't leave any parts od the drag strip...:D

Congatulations Barry. I am glad you took your car out to the track
Zora would be proud of you
Tom

Hi Tom
I was hesitant doing it at first but after the first run I couldn't wait to stage for another one..... :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom