Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

First time owner 1990

inspection

Change the thermostat to a 160 and really LOOK at the water pump.:eyerole

Change the thermostat to a 160 and really LOOK at the water pump.:eyerole

smilies-42650.png

Hi Joe.

I was looking over my maintenance records from my '94 'vert and one of the first issues I had to address was the waterpump and front seal at 77,000 miles (I bought it with 75,000 miles on the clock).

I replaced - or had replaced - the waterpump, distributor, front seal, spark plugs and belt. The repairs were costly - over $1000 but luckily I had purchased a warranty and my share of the cost was less than half the total.

Good luck!
:w Jane Ann

Found the write-up. It was by Chris Petris, not Killebrew

Fuel Injection Service.
Chris Petris Owner of Corvette Clinic.

“I recommend annual injector cleaning on all ’85-’88 cars. These cars use either Bosch or Lucas injectors. The injectors sit deeper in the intake manifold than ’89-and-up injectors, so they build up deposits more frequently. You can purchase 3M injector cleaner that is for one-time usage. Remove the fuel pump fuse and fuel cap. Follow the instructions on the hose and hook it to the can. Install the injector cleaner on the fuel rail on the right side below the vacuum fittings at the pressure port. Follow the instructions on the can to use.

Multec injectors were present on all ’89-’96 Corvettes. These are self-cleaning disc injectors. The injector windings are cooled with fuel, so a harsh injector cleaner will damage the windings and short out the injector.”

B17Crew
:w

Add number 17. CLEAN BATTERIES CABLES.

Congrats on a great car!

The ’90 is nice year, you have the second generation cockpit and the 1st generation exterior (which I’ve always liked).

If it hasn’t been performed already, here’s what I would service on a C4 if I had just acquired it. I’m the kind of guy that would do these things for my own piece of mind. May be overkill, but gives you some things to consider.

1. Drain and flush the radiator

2. Check air intake at front and back of radiator for debris (leaves, cigarette butts, etc)

3. Install new air filter (and or) clean if it’s a K&N and lightly re-oil

4. Drain power steering fluid, replace with new

5. Check all underhood hoses integrity

6. Clean injectors

7. Inspect tires on all surfaces (inside sidewalls as well) for any trouble.

8. Lube all ball joints (upper and lower) Can’t remember if the ’90 C4 has the fittings at the rear. They’re easily accessible up front.

9. New serpentine belt is an easy thing to service. Save your old one and keep it in your rear cover storage compartment if you use your ’90 on a long trip. Not sure how easy it would be to locate a ’90 serp belt in an out of the way place, especially the doulble-sided ribbed ones

10. You could tackle the spark plugs and wires if you are so inclined. But if everything is running fine, that’s one I’d probably wait on. I HATE CHANGING PLUGS!

11. Engine/oil and filter change would be a given

12. Replace Positive Crankcase Venation Valve (PCV valve)

13. New transmission fluid. Not sure about changing the autos tranny filter (’90 have the auto tranny filter?)

14. Lube all contact points that require it. Underhood, doors, etc.

15. Drain differential fluid and replace with new, may need differential additive that will help keep noise down

16. Lube all weather stripping: under hood wheel well strips, doors, targa, rear window, You can purchase this at your GM service department.

B17Crew

I did most of the check off list that you provided. But here is one that we forgot to mention. Clean the batteries cables.:eek:hnoes Now that was experience. I have you ever tried changing a battery, in a parking lot PARK next to another car. Now there was a 3 hour ordeal. Why did GM have to put star like screws on the wheel well?;shrug Need I have to tell you what was going thru my mind. But had a great weekend with the car. The Top came off friday eve and off to the Mtns. Had a blast. O yes, I add a couple of gallons of high octane fuel (100) as well. Ran like a champ.

Hey Mile Hi Brother!

:w Hi Joe. Congrats on the new C4. :upthumbs 90 is my favorite year. L98 with analog dash. Whereabouts in Denver are you? I live south central. Platt Park. Be glad to get togeher with you to talk Vettes and show you some of the things I have done to mine. No mods, just getting it back to OE standards. You should really consider going to the Cruisefest in Colorado Springs at the end of June.

I'd change them just for peace of mind. How much do thay cost. Not much for the knowledge that you won't get stranded.

I did most of the check off list that you provided. But here is one that we forgot to mention. Clean the batteries cables.:eek:hnoes Now that was experience. I have you ever tried changing a battery, in a parking lot PARK next to another car. Now there was a 3 hour ordeal. Why did GM have to put star like screws on the wheel well?;shrug Need I have to tell you what was going thru my mind. But had a great weekend with the car. The Top came off friday eve and off to the Mtns. Had a blast. O yes, I add a couple of gallons of high octane fuel (100) as well. Ran like a champ.

Sorry to hear about your battery, that did sound like an ordeal!

You may want to consider cleaning the throttle body and it’s butterflies at some point. I can’t remember if someone else had mentioned it or not. It’s pretty easy to do.

B17Crew

Welcome aboard !!

If your car sat around a lot, and at only 64k we know it did, all of the seals will begin to give up with frequent use. Just a fact of life.

Be alert for things that don't seem right as you use the car and, as they crop up, you can just about bet that a dried and aged seal has cried "uncle."

Water pump, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, hoses...anything with rubber.

"How", you ask yourself, "does he know these things?"

Gotta tell you, though, I absolutely love my Vette.

The last owner told me that he just retired it during the winter months. He told me that he own it for the past 2 years. Now he did say that he started it every few months.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom