Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

First time the Spare Tire...

HammerDown

Corvette
1981 White/ Red int.
...was ever used!
Yep, in 27 years yesterday was the *first* time I've ever had a flat and needed to use the spare.
While buzzing on I-95 Philly area my front right tire went down FAST! Pulled over on the 1/2-shoulder (not safe at all :eek:hnoes) to ascertain the situation. Yep it was dead flat.:hb
In a little panic I real quick remembered I had two cans of Fix-A-Flat behind the seat but they were soooo old would they still work? Luckily they filled the tire just enough (1/4 way) to get me off the Interstate where I proceed to change out the flat for my funny looking skinny spare.
The not so funny part was...I had to put the much wider run tire next to me on the passenger seat(had a drop cloth) as it will NOT fit in the tire carrier under the car.:(
Turns out I had a valve stem go bad, it was cut maybe during installation last year...luckily the run tire was not damaged...other than a little road burn on the sidewall.
So CHECK THOSE SPARES!!!

just the other day when i started my search for a spare for my car i was thinking the exact same thing.....where the hell do i put the rea tire afterwards... seeing how 90% of the time my golf clubs are in the back of the car.... i guessid have to hide the tire inthe weeds and go back later to get it!

Spare tire!

Been meaning to see if there is any air in the spare for the longest time, guess I have to do that tomorrow.
Never thought about the fact that the "RUN" tire will not fit in carrier so now I have something else to worry about.
Once upon a time i used to hang out in Philly, that's one fine town. PG.

Bet the luggage rack on the back doesn't sound so bad anymore huh? LOL. I've never checked my spare or thought about where to put the flat tire. good thing you didn't have a passenger.

Bet the luggage rack on the back doesn't sound so bad anymore huh? LOL. I've never checked my spare or thought about where to put the flat tire. good thing you didn't have a passenger.

probably what they put it there for until people complained about it!

I check my spare once/twice a year...it was low but got me to the tire shop just fine.

Again I say >>> Check your spare!

I dropped mine the other day on the 73' after I finally got the keyless (last owner counldn't find it?) lock off and found that it was the Original Firestone 500 that came from the factory, brand new and still holding air! I don't think I will want to test it out, so I guess I have to pick up a new spare before it's needed! At least the rim sure looked nice!

OK I aired up the spare today and while getting the wrench out of the storage compartment I noticed what looks like a relay and a flasher, what are those two things? 74 stock auto w a/c. thanks PG.

OK I aired up the spare today and while getting the wrench out of the storage compartment I noticed what looks like a relay and a flasher, what are those two things? 74 stock auto w a/c. thanks PG.
I think they're for the wipers...I hear a clicking from that compartment when I turn on or off the wipers.

I think they're for the wipers...I hear a clicking from that compartment when I turn on or off the wipers.

is that what that clicking noise is!! i hear the same thing when i use my wipers

Oh, for the wipers!

Thanks for the quick reply, I never heard any noise back there but I'll check it out next time. PG.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom