Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Floppy side view mirror glass, missing motor "posts"

steelguyshaun

Corvette
2001 C5
Hi all, new here today, but the site has been very helpful! Thank you all! Newbie here and to corvette ownership. I bought my wife a 2001 C5 convertible for her 40th Bday and have been fixing little things here and there with much help from this site. One thing I can't find any info about is: The drivers side view mirror glass moves freely by hand. I removed the glass mirror revealing the mirror motor. There was of course the larger center ball socket and there were two other pins only without springs from the motor housing to the plastic mirror casing. Nothing (no pins, etc) from the rotating power motor cogs to the mirror (the power motor seems to work fine.) My questions are as follows:

I assume there are supposed to be plastic pins at those two locations, right? Are then all four of those pins supposed to have springs on them?

Is there anywhere I can just buy the pins/springs without buying an entire motor or a full salvaged mirror to cannibalize for just a few plastic pieces?

Has anyone substituted these plastic pins with anything else that will work? (machine screws, etc)

Thanks! :beer

Thanks for the links dadaroo. My motor does have memory, but the memory posts there move very freely in and out, like there is nothing attached to them inside the motor.? Any idea if that is how they are supposed to be? My motor is all plastic also where the one in the pic looks to be cast alum. I am thinking it will take a whole new motor, but every schematic picture I have seen of the motors does not picture those posts/springs. Not sure they come with the motor.? As for right now, I put one wrap of electrical tape around the center ball before snapping the mirror/socket on. That gave it a little more tension/resistance and helps the mirror to stay put while the wife is driving down the road. Buys me some time to research the most economical fix.

The motor should come with the posts. However, that is not a GM P/N item. I suggest you make the vendor contact I recommended.

Or can get a new assembly and just change our the guts if you want to.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom