Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! floppy steering column

Ron Bogle

Corvette
1985 c4
I think I have a common problem, but I don't know if its a difficult fix or not my steering column has become very floppy, I can move it up and down at least an inch or better. I am fairly handy but I have never pulled a steering column or worked on one. Any advise would be appreciated

You will want a special tool for taking the wheel off, get a loaner from local parts store,,, advance auto loans tools.
If your lucky the bolts may just have worked lose. Other thing can be the bearing has gone bad.
Be sure to unhook the battery. Wouldn't want to set off the airbag.
What part of Iowa? far NW here.

Floppy column... hmm?

4803_1-is-enzyte-right-for-you.jpg

J/K there RB... is maybe the tilt-wheel lock mechanism broken?

I had a similar problem happen in a C4, but it was very dramatic in that it happened almost immediately. The steering column is hollow to allow for switchgear and wiring and also so it can collapse without impaling the driver. There are "windows" in the steering column in the area near the turn signal stalk area. The torque from the steering wheel is transferred through this area through what is essentially a tripod. In my case, one of the legs of the tripod broke, causing a steering column that had a lot of flex.

I suppose it could have been welded, but I got a junkyard replacement instead and it took a full day to replace it.

I would certainly look for loose nuts/bolts/ bad steering coupler, before pulling the steering column.

I had a similar problem happen in a C4, but it was very dramatic in that it happened almost immediately. The steering column is hollow to allow for switchgear and wiring and also so it can collapse without impaling the driver. There are "windows" in the steering column in the area near the turn signal stalk area. The torque from the steering wheel is transferred through this area through what is essentially a tripod. In my case, one of the legs of the tripod broke, causing a steering column that had a lot of flex.

I suppose it could have been welded, but I got a junkyard replacement instead and it took a full day to replace it.

I would certainly look for loose nuts/bolts/ bad steering coupler, before pulling the steering column.

You will want a special tool for taking the wheel off, get a loaner from local parts store,,, advance auto loans tools.
If your lucky the bolts may just have worked lose. Other thing can be the bearing has gone bad.
Be sure to unhook the battery. Wouldn't want to set off the airbag.
What part of Iowa? far NW here.
Im north central mason city area (garner)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom