Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

FM modulated CD changer installed.

ohsobad

Corvette
1994, artic white, zo7, coupe, with a six speed.
I had the CD changer installed in the vette a few days ago, and it sounds really good. I had reservations about the FM modulation, but im impressed! Just wanted to drop a line for those that are interested in keeping the dash in stock trim but wanted more CD capacity.:D

ohsobad said:
I had the CD changer installed in the vette a few days ago, and it sounds really good. I had reservations about the FM modulation, but im impressed! Just wanted to drop a line for those that are interested in keeping the dash in stock trim but wanted more CD capacity.:D

Cool....:D

I had one (6 disc Kenwood in storage area) in my car when I bought it but to be honest I did not like it much. I only had the base Delco stereo and I just couldn't get the equalization (highs, mids & lows) w/ the stock system and for some reason (here in Phx anyway) I was getting alot of radio interference when playing CD's.

Decided to go aftermarket (Pioneer) and just put in a single disc system. The sound quality and equalization is miles better w/ the Pioneer than the base Delco. As far as keeping things stock, I guess that is not too important to me since I keep "personalizing the car as I go along.

I'm not sure what system (Bose...?) you have in yours but w/ the base Delco system I could not get the "high performance" sound I was after.

There is a bonus to being able to store/play 6 or more discs so I definitely can see the advantages there. The radio interference was a problem for me, hopefully you do not have that problem.

Enjoy,
Jeff

As a matter of fact my changer is by pioneer. As for the highs and lows, I enjoy the way it sound and having twelve of my favorite Cds in it is a plus. I have not ran in to the problem of radio interference because 89.1 is a weak station in Chicago. And if push comes to shove, I could install an after market head unit and still have the twelve pack in the rear.

ohsobad said:
I enjoy the way it sound and having twelve of my favorite Cds in it is a plus.

Even better then a 12 cd changer is a head unit that plays MP3's. I burn my own and you can fit upwards of 150 songs on a single cd.:cool

Len:w

How hard was the install? I picked up a unit from someone selling some parts and I am ready to put it in. Did you have trouble routing the power wires? I did not get an owners manual with it. Do you set the radio to a particular station?

Thanks,
Dino

I have hesitated joining in the discussion (although I have exchanged emails with Jeff). For me, there is only one solution - and I ain't looking back.

Use an iPod or similar hard drive based portable MP3 player. I have a Dell DJ30. I have every song there is (well, that I have :)) all on that device with hardly any room taken. No CD or MP3 CDs of any kind any more.

I also use an FM modulator and it seems to work fine, within the limits of my non-Bose piece of junk. And I can take the DJ30 (with the modulator) into any of my three vehicles - also use it in the house.

One of these babies will set you back $300 or so, but it's worth it, being such a universal solution.

Bob

Dino89vette said:
How hard was the install? I picked up a unit from someone selling some parts and I am ready to put it in. Did you have trouble routing the power wires? I did not get an owners manual with it. Do you set the radio to a particular station?

Thanks,
Dino

I had a shop do the work and they did a pretty nice job. I have the Bose Gold series in my car and the reciever is in the rear compartment, next to the jack. So the antenna lead and the other leads were ran from the unit which was mounted vertically, on the left side of the hatch area, to the reciever. The small controller for the changer is wired in the rear of the stock head unit, then was mounted with velcro tape. Also I think there were other wire ran under the console to the stock unit. I listen to various types of music, and I must say that those songs with deep base sound good, and those with midranges and highs sound good also.

NC2Stay said:
I have hesitated joining in the discussion (although I have exchanged emails with Jeff). For me, there is only one solution - and I ain't looking back.

Use an iPod or similar hard drive based portable MP3 player. I have a Dell DJ30. I have every song there is (well, that I have :)) all on that device with hardly any room taken. No CD or MP3 CDs of any kind any more.

I also use an FM modulator and it seems to work fine, within the limits of my non-Bose piece of junk. And I can take the DJ30 (with the modulator) into any of my three vehicles - also use it in the house.

One of these babies will set you back $300 or so, but it's worth it, being such a universal solution.

Bob

Do you have pics of your set-up?

I guess I could take a pic, but you won't see much! There is no setup. The unit itself is smaller than a pack of cigarettes, and the modulator is about half the size of a business card. You plug the modulator into the MP3 unit and that is it, except for power. Both units run on batteries - my MP3 player has a rechargeable battery, which I can do in the house or with a 12v cord in the car. The player runs for 15 hours or so on a charge - more than enough for a day's run.

Power to the modulator is internal batteries or also a 12v cord. I usually use that.

When running, I just plunk the units into one of the holes in the center console - i.e. ashtray or right of the power seat control - or toss them behind the seat or on the rear compartment carpet.

Its all a little bit messy, but the advantage is that you can quickly unplug it and take it to another car. I do that all the time, having 3 cars now (well, 2 and a pickup - after all, I am in the South!).

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom