Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

FOB becomes unrecognizable???!!! - Help

T

Tyson

;help I was driving yesterday for 2 hours with friends up to Calistoga on a hot summer day, and as usual I carry my FOB in the right pocket with no key. Upon arriving, I press the button to turn off the car, which it does, but I get the notice on the dash saying, NO FOB Detected, Off or Accessory? I make sure the FOB was in my hand and pushed off again. The accessory's went off. Not thinking this was a major deal, I got out and closed the door. I have the door auto lock, which it did, nice feature, but I'll regret this in a few minutes.

At which time I NOW test to see if the FOB will unlock the car, which it doesn't. :W (OK, should have done that in the other order because I have successfully locked myself out of the car. Nice.)

First I think the FOB battery is dead. Friends and I are hungry so we take a break for an hour, eat a late breakfast and head back to the cars.

Same deal, FOB will not get me into the car. I swap 2 different batteries from my friends FOBs and still no luck. My friends try my battery in their FOB, and can unlock their car; so my FOB battery is not bad. (we would have entered the twilght zone if my friends FOB unlocked my car with my battery.:ugh my head would also have exploded as I tried to explain that, which thankfully I didn't have to)

I called On-Star to unlock my car, which worked like a charm! Sweet. This was a nice demo for friends. (note to self: change all On-Star security information since I was standing on public street with cell phone, speaking my passwords) So, I am in my car with my FOB in hand and still can not start the car. Check headlights, car battery is good! I now slide the FOB in the special holder in the glove box. Car starts! Cool I am back on the road.

I pull into home, take the FOB out of the glove box, and then turn the car off. Same message again, NO FOB detected. I'm at home now, with access to the keys and the second FOB so I have no worries. I shut the door, auto lock, FOB1 can not open the door. I walk inside the house, leave FOB1 inside and get FOB2. Walk to the car, open door and start car with no problems on FOB2. I lock up the car with FOB2, get FOB1. Still can not use FOB1 to open or start the car.

Now for the strange bit; 4 hours later at the house, FOB1 works with no issues, normal operation!
What happened? ;shrug

Might this be a computer issue? FOB2 worked fine however, and I NEVER use it.
Can the FOB become "unseen" if it is in your pocket in some weird position while driving and the computer has some failsafe action?

Just hoping to get some insight before going into the dealer.

Thanks in advance!

I had the same display on the DIC when I used a replacement fob which was not reprogrammmed at the delearshjip. Although I did run through the setup to "reprogram an additional fob" that didnt seem to work. At the delership they did it in 2 minutes.

HI there,
Just make sure that there are no aftermarket accessories that can create interference with the fob.
If you install in the holder and your ok, normally, its a fob or battery.
Allthebest, c4c5

I've heard certain brands of cell phones or other electronic devices can create an EM field around them which interferes with fob signal recognition.

-Patrick

Got a call from a friend in Eureka Springs, AR just a few minutes ago - seems his 08 is refusing to recognize either of the FOBs and putting them in the docking port in the glove box is not working either. He said it happened twice yesterday but started after a few minutes wait.

He called me since I reported a "No FOBs detected" message a while back. However, my problem was traced to the security system installed in the building I was in - once the security cameras were turned off, the car worked fine.

My friends situation is different - he's in a Pizza Hut parking lot that does not appear to have any security cameras or other radio interference and it happened a couple of times yesterday.

I'm thinking it may be the battery or could it be the "easy start module"?

Any suggestions other than have it hauled to the nearest dealer?

HI there,
Honestly, the only way you might be able to tell is if you park another car next to the affected vehicle and then turn on the AM radio.
This will tell you if there is any EMI in the area by the static.
But under normal conditons, I would be looking at the battery.
Allthebest, c4c5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom