Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

FOB programming issue ("search" did not seem to work)

HallenTi

Corvette
2006 Victory Red coupe
I have tried to Search for "FOB" on the Furum and get a message that nothing was found. Must be "operator error" on my part. I know the search has worked for me in the past...

For my 2006 coupe, build date 2006-01-10, I have a known good FOB (indicates "1" on the reverse of the case and unlocks/starts the car). I have a brand new GM FOB (indicates "2" on the reverse of the case). Following the procedure I found in the printed and PDF (in case they differ) owners manual (and several derivations I have found on this and other forums) I have tried to program this new second FOB. The DIC never tells me it is ready to program a FOB.

My thought was that there must be a switch that senses that the rear lock cylinder has been turned the required "five times in five seconds" and it may be inoperative. Checking various posts about the lock cylinder itself, apparently there are two styles - one with a flat mounting plate and one with a tilted mounting plate (presumably to make it easier to insert and turn the key should you needs to). Both are riveted to the bumper cover.

In the photos of these two designs, I see that the flat plate design has the cable for the manual latch, as well as a pair of wires from the head of the lock cylinder. I see that on the tilted plate version, there is the cable for the mechanical latch, but no wires from the cylinder.

My later model (2006-01-10) has the tilted mounting plate, and I assumed no switch. I have removed one license plate light assembly and used an inspection mirror and find no wires from the head of the rear lock cylinder. If this is the case, how does the computer know you have turned the switch the "five times in five seconds" to then continue with the programming? I am speculating that there a switch on the latch itself that the mechanical cable from the lock cylinder then operates in place of a switch in the lock cylinder itself.

If this is true, might someone have a wiring diagram for the wires to the latch that would be used to program the FOB, so I can check continuity and/or make a temporary "programming switch" to accomplish the task?

Thanks!!! Tim

Thanks Vettelt193 for the try. I ran across those instructions right before I posted the question I'm afraid. As with others, the DIC never informed me that it was in the mode to program and FOB. I could pay the dealer to program the new FOB I am sure, but I'd prefer the "do-it-yourself" (free) method. I'll keep hoping someone has a wiring diagram for the latch assembly.

I tried to program one for my 2012 Grand Sport and couldn't so I took it to my Chevy dealer and it took them two days and a call to GM to program it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom