Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fog Light Air Intake Recomendation.

D

Dr C5 Corvette

Hi Everyone, Want to replace my fog lamp cut outs OEM with the new ones that are cut out for air intake with the Z06 Screens. Has anyone done this mod? my front bumper is being replaced and the body shop will do it for me as long as I get the parts. I looked in Ecklers mag and they have a set for $129 with the screens, but I am not sure if there the double sided tape screens would like a Z06 OEM type fit :) .... Thanks Dr C5 Corvette

Yup sure did. I didnt bother with getting the replacement fog lamp cut out pieces with the pretty holes cut in them. It just seemed like a lot of extra expense for something I could do with a dremel in a few minutes. I cut a large square hole in the back which lets in a lot more air than the ones with a few little holes.

As far as the screens I had the same thought at you. I wanted to make sure they matched the OEM Z06 screens so I ordered them from GM. I got mine from gmpartsdirect.com but if I had it to do over I would have gone with fredbeans or gmpartshouse. You get a good price from GM parts direct but they charged me the full shipping ($8 i think) on both boxes so it was $16 total. They could have put them in one box and charge me the $8.

Anyway on to your other concern mounting. I put mine on with Velcro (yup Velcro). By using Velcro I can pull them out anytime I want with relative ease and putting them in is a snap. I've had mine on for a little over a year, pulled them off a few times to clean and change the fog lamp bulb. (you can reach in there with that big hole)

To get them off I use those soft plastic body putty spreaders and wiggle them in between the Velcro and pull the screen out. To put them back in I put a piece of paper over the Velcro and push the screen in to where I want it and pull the paper out.

Good Point about cutting them out yourself. I thought about cutting 3 holes with my hole cutter to match the contour of the insert like small, med, large on both sides without removing them. I was going to drill them from the outside/in then install the screens. ok, Point well Taken. Thanks Dr C5 Corvette

I put the screens in with the double sided tape and they have been good for over a year so far.I am going to drill two or three holes with a hole saw or maybe steal the dremel idea! Just haven't had the chance yet. They still look great.:w

I did the exact same thing. Used the OEM GM screens and attached them with Velcro. However, I made a template of the back of the foglight bucket and drilled several holes from the outside. They work and look great!
Dave

Yes Thats Great, Did you run into any thing in the way when you drilled? This is the most direct route to the air induction system while keeping the intake isolated from the hot air in the radiator shroud area. This is my opinion and will direct cooler air to that area designed for air intake by GM. I dont think these induction systems where you cut out the shroud is a good Idea. In theory it should work ok, However there is a lot of hot air in that cavity to suck in thanks..... Dr C5 Corvette

fog light screens

Hello Doc,
No problems at all. I actually used a 3/4" hole saw (the type used for plumbing w/ a drill). I determined the patern I wanted to use and layed it out on the template that I mentioned. I used a poster board-like material so it was rather stiff. I layed out the center points of each hole. I then used double sided tape the fasten it to the back of the fog light bucket. Then, using a 1/16' drill bit, I drilled pilot holes at each centerpoint on the template. I removed the template and positioned the hole bit at each pilot hole and drilled through. I don't recall anything behind the bucket but then again, I only driled enough to break through. The edges were a little rough so I used a rolled up piece of sand paper to smoooth out the edges. You really don't need to do this last step since it's not visable after you install the air screens.

Good Luck,
Dave

So you think it's a good idea to do this,was a little confused,sorry:confused

That Sounds Great, I am Going to use 3 different size hole saws to create a nice pattern from smallest to largest. Thanks for the info.... Dr C5 Corvette

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom