Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Fog light surrounds modifications

Corvette
2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !
Has anyone replaced the 'Fog light surrounds, and or modified them ? I really like the fog light surrounds offered by Mid-America motorworks with the oval holes in them. They look good and let fresh air into the engine bay. But I'm wondering if I can't just drill a set of symmetrical spaced holes in the black plastic surrounds. It seems to be a big job to remove and replace the plastic surrounds, So I'm wondering if doing it myself might be just as well to layout a set of holes and use my cordless drill to slowly drill small to larger holes in the black plastic material.

What do you folks think of this idea and if so, what would recommend as a way for me to take on this job ? I know we have enough experience here to consider my idea. Is letting fresh air and I assume some measure of water into the area behind the black plastic panels good or a bad idea ? Any ideas welcome. Thank you ! ;help

That was one of the first things I did. I removed the plastic piece first though. Can't say I would recommend doing this with the plastic piece still on the car. I didn't cut the fancy round holes I just cut one big square one. I also put the Z06 screens on. If I didn't put the Z06 screens on I would have done a handful of smaller holes.

I have thought of this myself,but would like to see pictures or more replies on it.;shrug

That was one of the first things I did. I removed the plastic piece first though. Can't say I would recommend doing this with the plastic piece still on the car. I didn't cut the fancy round holes I just cut one big square one. I also put the Z06 screens on. If I didn't put the Z06 screens on I would have done a handful of smaller holes.

Well how do you go about removing and replacing the plastic pieces ? For the life of me I can't see how you go about getting to it, from under the front the car, or going through the headlight opening ? ;help

The more I look at the area down there, The more scared I become. I'm not going to remove it. It's just way too complicated to try and remove the piece. I did a nice template with which I could drill a set of 12- 3/8 or 7/16 holes. But I'm not sure of what the results would be, I don't want to do something that's gonna create a problem down the road , so to speak. I'll wait and see if someone here has some knowledge like your self who can advice me in this mini-mod ! Thank you for your imput. :w

If you look on the MAM page for those surrounds have have the install directions listed. (not much detail but they are the correct locations for accessing the surrounds.) I pulled mine out/in from the bottom.
http://content.mamotorworks.com/pdf/603952.pdf

If I remember correctly there are 3 screws that hold the surround on from the inside. Two on the side that is farthest from the fog light and one right next to it. There is also one on the bottom farthest from the fog light that is a hole for a wiring clip. I can't say it was easy pulling them out but it wasn't that hard either.

I'll see if I cant get some pictures.

Surrounds

Just did this last week.

First, almost impossible without a lift.

Next, the right side is easier to do. Remove the screws that hold the bottom plate on. Unbolt the horns and their bracket. Next remove the brake duct - not easy, but doable. Unbolt the fog light and then the screws that hold the surround piece.

The left (driver's) side is a bit more of a PIA, since on my 2003 there is an air pump mounted above the access plate. I'm told this is a piece that blows air into the cats at start up. Regardless of what it is, it has to come out. Two large plastic hose clamps, a couple of bolt and a wiring connector. Then the brake duct, then the lamps then the surround.

With a lift and the right tools figure about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to do the job.

In the long run, I don't know if it is all worth it.

PS: on my car I also loosend the 5 screws that hold the front bumper cover to the radiator support which allows you to get your hand up into the area of the inner screws on the surround on both sides.

Ken Edney
Chandler, AZ

First I cut big holes then decided to cut between the holes and ended up cutting a big rectangular shape and it looks good and lets even more air in. Then I put on some GM Z06 screens:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom