Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

forced induction system

Corvette
2002 electron blue Z06
I have a stock '97 A4. It is great fun, but I would like more power. I thoght about a nitrous kit, but that is not every day, on demand power. I have been thinking about some type of supercharger/blower kit. Has anyone out there done that? What company did you use? Is it for a moderately skilled do-it-yourselfer? What kind of power gains did you get? Is there anything to avoid? etc. etc.
Thanks

DRTH -

You are venturing into dark territory (a Darth Vader joke!).

I, too, have (had) a stock A4 (Y2K) and found myself in the same quandry as you have found yourself. Finally I took the plunge and installed an ATI Procharger. If I may, here are a couple of points to question/ponder while making your decision:

First, it is initally expensive. Far more so than NOS. But the good news is superchargers are (cross fingers) generally less catastrophic to your engine and trans; less shock HP/Torque . . . if you learn how to handle it. For example, NEVER get into Boost, panic, back off on the accelerator, and then immediately re-apply Boost (while trans is up-shifting). This is a sure fire way to fry the A4. This adds to the cost, big time! Now add different plugs, wires, gagues, etc. Include at least one Dyno to be sure your Air/Fuel numbers are correct (too lean will blow the engine $$$$). Better tires. Can you hear the cash register "Ka-ching!"?

Next, upkeep. Tires again. Of course you will be changing more regularly, too. Periodic Oil changes and filters to the unit.

Then, will it void your warranty? Will it cause the smog-monster to rear its ugly head? Will your insurance man have cardiac arrest? Are you on a first-name basis with the local constabulary???? You WILL be!

To answer your questions:
I put in an ATI Procharger with 7 pounds boost, and a pinned crank. I had it professionally installed by people who knew what they were doing. The install was fast and perfect the first time. I was told the kit was easy to install. But that was a pro talking. I don't know your skill level, but think about it: you're adding about 125 HP with a lot of possible pit falls. You may sleep better knowing the install company will stand behind their work or, at least, work with you should the engine/trans fall out. Think about it.

Pitfalls? Ask people who have them. Check out the Magnusun unit as well. The ATI and Magnusun are two different approaches to supercharger. Both are great but excel in different ways. Don't skimp on safety issues, either: key the crank (extra $) and add a trans cooler (extra $).

If you want MY $0.02 . . . GO FOR IT!!!!!!
I LOVE MINE! I am GLAD I did it. I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

Take a look . . . http://home.earthlink.net/~langello/index.html

"You might as well be walking on the Sun!"

:)

Lingenfelter Supercharged Corvette...

This is an article taken from the April Car & Driver magazine:

Attention, Kmart shoppers. We're pleased to announce a BlueLight Special in Aisle 4. Once again, we're offering you the lowest price possible. This time, it's horsepower-just $46 a pony. That's right, this unheard of bargain is in Aisle 4.

Continuing our policy of bringing you name-brand products at off-brand prices, the horsepower is provided by Lingenfelter Performance Engineering (LPE), owned by the same John Lingenfelter who has been building some of the hottest muscle cars since 1985.

This latest LPE product is a supercharger kit for the C5 Corvette. Installed on a base 350-hp model, the $6400 kit ups horsepower to 490 at 6000 rpm and increases torque from 375 pound-feet to 480 at 4600 rpm. The kit is also available for the 405-hp Z06 model, but due to the Z06's freer-breathing heads, the horsepower increase is a mere 125, to 530.

Did someone say aisle 4?

There's no neeed to worry, shoppers, about questions of quality in this remarkable bargain. The supercharger uses the same internals as the blower that's installed as original equipment on the Ford SVT F-150 Lightning.

Those internal bits-two interlocking, three-lobed rotors-are made by Eaton, the same company that builds superchargers for Mercedes Benz, GM, and Ford.

We're talking over 100,000-mile durability, folks. Those Eaton pieces reside in a housing built by another prominent player in the supercharger industry, Magnuson Products.

So, please, dear shoppers, put down those Kit Kats and follow along. Magnuson is the aftermarket outlet for Eaton. If a tuner wants to use an Eaton blower, he buys it through Magnuson. And if you already have a supercharger, but it needs rebuilding, Magnuson is the only factory authorized place to perform the work.

For the LPE kit, Magnuson supplied the pieces (supercharger, intake manifold, and drive system) and LPE figured out how to put them together.

One of the pricklier jobs was designing the intake manifold. Despite the Corvette's rather roomy engine compartment, the supercharger best fits in the vee of the engine, rather than off to the side as in some applications. Residing below the blower is the intake manifold, the piece that channels compressed air from the blower to the cylinders.

Magnuson's first prototype manifold was a short, compact unit that allowed the blower to fit between the slim space between the top of the engine and the Corvette's fiberglass hood. This setup, although sufficiently packaged, choked air flow and restricted power.

It didn't take long for LPE and Magnuson to realize they'd have to open up the intake manifold by increasing it's height. Unfortunately, that meant brooming the stock hood, so now every kit comes with a fiberglass hood (painted the color of your choice) that has a two-inch-high center bulge. The hood is included in the price of the kit, which has everything you'll need to turn your Corvette into a Porsche 911 GT2 eater. In addition to the blower, manifold and drive belts, the LPE kit comes with an engine-computer reprogrammer, larger fuel injectors, and every nut, bolt and gasket you'll need. LPE estimates that the average shade-tree mechanic can install the kit in about 8 hours.

Due to volume issues, our own Kmart auto department will not be able to perform the installation for you, but LPE will do the installation at its shop in Decatur, Indiana, and perform dyno testing-all for $1999.

There will be a small loss of fuel economy, perhaps 1 mpg, but due to the internal bypass valve, the supercharger sucks less than one horsepower when not providing boost.

Jump and the gas, and within a half-second, the blower generates boost of 5.5 psi. We're talking zero lag here, folks.

Car and Driver tested a base 2002 Corvette with a six-speed manual transmission ($42,750), the LPE supercharger kit ($8399 including installation), an LPE high-flow intake system ($395), and B&B stainless-steel exhaust ($898), an LPE boost gauge ($339), and a $5235 wheel and tire package. LPE estimates those additional intake and exhaust parts add about 10 horsepower. A warranty on the powertrain for three years or 36,000 miles will cost you $200.

The $58,016 (sans warranty) Corvette roared to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds. One hundred mph arrived at a startling 7.7 seconds then to 150 mph in 17.9. For those taking drag-racing notes, the car cleared the quarter mile in 11.7 at 126 mph.

A Corvette equipped with the LPE kit will enable it's owner to walk cockily anywhere singing the M.C. Hammer hit "U Can't Touch This." Anywhere. The $185,000 Porsche 911 GT2 trails it to 60 mph by 0.1 second and to 100 by 0.6 second and does the quarter mile in 12.0 seconds at 121 mph.

Now, some of you shoppers may be wondering why not simply go out and by a $50,871 Corvette Z06? We must remind you that the Z06 needs 4.0 seconds to reach 60 mph and 12.4 seconds to clear the quarter. We should also advise you that the new hood blocks very little forward visibility and the supercharger emits a subdued, but definitely audible, high-pitched whine.

Thanks again for shopping at Kmart, and while you're browsing, don't forget to check out the Martha Stewart collection in Aisle 6. (Hey, who turned out the lights?)

LINGENFELTER SUPERCHARGED CORVETTE:

Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel drive, 2-passenger, 2-door coupe
Price as tested: $58,016
Engine type: supercharged pushrod 16-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, GM/LPE engine control system with port fuel ejection

Displacement 346 cu in, 5665 cc
Power 500 bhp@6000 rpm
Torque 480 lb-ft@4600 rpm
Transmission 6-speed manual
Wheelbase 104.5 in
Length 179.7 in
Curb weight 3341 lb
Zero to 60 mph 3.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph 7.7 sec
Zero to 150 mph 17.9 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph 4.5 sec
Standing 1/4 mile 11.7 sec@126 mph
Top speed 197 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph 161 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad 0.97g
EPA fuel economy, city driving 18 mpg
C/D observed fuel economy 15 mpg

Vortech is going to soon have a C5 aftercooled kit on the market, so dont rule that out. Aftercooling/intercooling lowers intake temps singnificantly, helping to run more boost, as well as keep your engine running cooler.

ATI or Vortech is who i would recommend for centrefugal, and MagnaCharger (Magnusun) for a roots/eaton style. LPE likes their Magnacharger, and offer a kit for a touch under 9k w/ install and warranty. Not bad, considering their TT setups are A LOT MORE! lol

Up the stall in your A4 aswell, if you want to launch/run better. Upping to around a mid 3000rpm is what a lot of A4 Fbody guys are doing, and i think some of the faster Vettes that are A4 have a higher stall aswell. And yes, a trans cooler is a worthwhile investment.

And getting it properly setup is another key thing. Most of the systems setup for stock motors push around 6-8psi, and thats about all the stock fuel system can handle. I've heard of people running 10+ (some 97 LT1 guy has 14 w/ ODBI and stock fuel sys), but i wouldn't want to see the fuel pressure dive @ every launch. Oh, centrefugals also help run that 'sleeper' look (like a Corvettes a sleeper anyway) but you dont have to upgrade to a cowl'd hood, you can keep the stock one. Lenny brought up some good points on things you should change/consider changing. Keep doing your homework on the setup, and the gains will hopefully be well worth the $$$ put into it.

LPE TWIN TURBO

I am glad I found this forum. I own a 99 TT conv. from Lingenfelter. If anyone is looking to beef up their C5 give these guys a call. Even if you choose not to afford a turbo pkg., tell these guys what you are looking for and they will help. I have only had the twin for about 6 weeks but it is better than the article posted above!!!

Re: LPE TWIN TURBO

TWIN TURBO said:
I am glad I found this forum. I own a 99 TT conv. from Lingenfelter. If anyone is looking to beef up their C5 give these guys a call. Even if you choose not to afford a turbo pkg., tell these guys what you are looking for and they will help. I have only had the twin for about 6 weeks but it is better than the article posted above!!!

Hey, that's cool!

Where are you located at?

I am in the suburbs off Detroit. There is quite a bit off street racing that goes on around here. I have had three vetts all bone stock, I finally decided to do the Twin. It was the best decision I have made vso far.

lingenfelter

What did it cost, in general terms? I just want to see if my budget is even in the ballpark.
Thanks,
JimB

Ballparks about right ;)

The 550 kit is like 40k the 650 kit is 42k and the TT 427 is around 50. I dont think that includes the Baer/Alcon brake packages aswell. But, the 650 that was tested in i believe May of 00, was an actual customers car that John drove (which, almost everything he tests is a customers car....) BUT, that car wasn't touched much, besides the rear end it ran for the diff tests. But the TT 427 car IS setup for what the customer (and John too ;)) wants. I mean, this guy has bookoo $$$$$$. But, being you probably already have a vette, its not going to be AS expensive as buying brand new, and getting LPE to do it...But, www.lingenfelter.com and shoot them an email. Ive gotten a few responses w/n a matter of just hours!

Oh, and its 56,000 for a TT 427 in a fullsize truck from LPE ;) (i had to ask 'em that lol)

Oh, and the good thing about all of LPEs work is, its got a 2 year or like 24,000 mile warranty on it...most people its out the door, and so long! But, if you want forced induction corvette, LPE is probably (imo, THE only one ;)) one of the best ones around. He knows his stuff...its just $$$ lol

Well said, you do know your Lingenfelter info. I have the 650 package with a six speed conv. The car is triple black and is a huge sleeper. Nobody can tell what I have until I get on it and the Turbos spool up. It is huge coin but if you do not like to lose, this is a good choice.

Re: Reply

TWIN TURBO said:
It is huge coin but if you do not like to lose, this is a good choice.

:L :L :L

I'd settle for an LT4 383 package from Lingenfelter. I plan to have that one within 4 years. Considering that the LT4's are around $15K or so, the 383 package is about $13K, I'd still be one of the big boys.

Twin, ive been following LPE for awhile now, i'm a huge fan of his work. Im only 19, but most people are :eek when they find that out, and especially im into Corvettes and especially Lingenfelter. Ive got the '6 degree' of seperation thing goin, i know a guy that works w/ the owner of that badass TT 427, and then i know a guy who's met John a few times, and has/had some people that he knows work @ LPE. Both say he's a great guy, and easy to talk to, and work with, im just waiting untill i get that opportunity. Enjoy the board, CAC is THE best Corvette site around :beer

Edmond, hell i'd just settle for a vette @ this point :L :s but, my goal is to own a 67 427 car (any one, i dont care! lol) A ZO6 or ZR-1 and whatever else the bank will let me have ;)

Ling_650vette said:
Edmond, hell i'd just settle for a vette @ this point :L :s but, my goal is to own a 67 427 car (any one, i dont care! lol) A ZO6 or ZR-1 and whatever else the bank will let me have ;)

I'll give you a big hell yeah on that 67' 427! One of those, along with a Z06, ZR-1 and Grand Sport are at the top of my wish list!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom