Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

found 19?? C3 ragtop for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Corvette
71 War Bonnet Yellow VERT 71 BH Blue CPE (SOLD)
Just discovered a red C3 ragtop that's just come up for sale. WAY out in country at a home I pass by several times weekly, I see a "NEW" red w/ black top & interior C3 ... no tags. I stop & ask ... find that homeowner's daughter (from Charleston SC) has left it with Dad to get rid of. I suspect it may be a "distress" sale. Since I'm COMPLETELY tapped out from Christmas, I did not check numbers/VIN/papers ... but Mom swears the papers say it is a 1973. Well it has two chrome bumpers, eggcrate-grilles in fenders but has small round front turn signal lenses in grille. It has 69 up doors (w/ NO buttons). It's clearly not an original 73 ... but maybe one that has a 68-72 front clip. It has a wiper door. BTW, it has a BB hood (not L88) and console plate ... I'm told it has a small block Target in the bay ... it has a 4-speed. Car needs at least paint, a top & interior. Now it's begun to snow & they've left the window down & torn top ... BUT no tarp/cover:(. I have not looked under the hood or elsewhere. Dad (who is car-savvy ... seems not interested in vettes) says it'd be about $8K. Little consequence to me, I'm tapped out anyway.
JACK:gap

Tapped out is the perfect time to buy. You can only offer what you can offer, and not feel bad about holding out on anybody. Then, if he accepts your low bid, it was meant to be.

I say go for it. The banks are offering unbelievable used car interest rates. It is what helped put the 00 six speed coupe in our driveway for Christmas.

Jack,
I don't think it would be a 73 with a 68/69 front clip. Don't think they would go to the trouble of adding the wiper door. Did it have the fiber optics on the console? If so that would rule out 72 and later. If you can get a look at the VIN the 6th digit (one before the S) is the year.

tom...

REALLY tapped out

Been snowed in until today. Passed by red vette & it is now covered w/ tarp:upthumbs.

Chris: No doubt bank rates are great ... but I just can't withstand further load. I've been procrastinating far too long on the engine build & other repairs to my 71 ... it'd really be silly for me to attempt another project now ... even if I could afford it. Not likely I'll make an offer at all.

Maybe someone else here at CACC might be interested.

Tom: You're probably right ... that it's not a 73. Maybe Mom's mistaken ... I hope she is ... for if not, this car might have questionable ownership. Regardless, something's up with that funny front end ... 68-69 front grilles&lamps but 70-72 eggcrates/icetrays? I didn't look close at all, but I seem to recall it still had the fiber optic panel in console (operable/dummy ???). When weather improves I may drop back by and see if I can take a closer look ... maybe also see the papers/title. If so, I check VIN, optics, rear deck grille pockets, gage color (white-green) etc.

just what is that thing?

Don't go to any trouble, but if you can find out more about it I know a guy who would be interested for a reasonable price. If you can get any info and pics to post here I will pass them along.

I dont think its a 73 either.Most of the time people try to upgrade their corvettes to modernize them not move backwards .Got to be a 69-72.Get the vin.

Nevermind I just realized this thread is ancient...this is the second one Ive seen this month,who keeps doing this.

paintdaddy said:
Nevermind I just realized this thread is ancient...this is the second one Ive seen this month,who keeps doing this.
I think the software must have made an error on the thread dates, don't believe that it is that old, Jan '02, as I remember the thread. And considering how my memory works, it would have to be from the very recent past :D

tom...

Just to clarify. I have not posted about the hybrid vette since I first saw it in January 2002. I did attempt to acquire it legally ... I was not successful. Someone within the same household where I first saw it has acquired legal ownership and is attempting to straighten body out. Through a seldom-open garage door, I got a glimpse of it as recently as December 2003 and it is still in pieces ... lotsa sanding been done ... body has not been removed from frame. Both the previous & present owners of the vette are very dishonest liars and cannot be trusted.

I haven't a clue why this thread popped back up ... for me, the issue died in spring of 2002 ... nearly two years ago.

Tom73 said:
I think the software must have made an error on the thread dates, don't believe that it is that old, Jan '02, as I remember the thread. And considering how my memory works, it would have to be from the very recent past :D
tom...
Well Tom, you should feel good about your memory since it really is that old. Several threads like this have been revived lately as folks have been doing a lot more browsing around with the new software. The forum archives are much more easily accessible now. That said, I'm going to lock this one just so no one else jumps in to give Jack advise on a long dead deal.

Eric Whitaker
CAC Community Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom