Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Found: 2 Disconnected Vacume lines - Where do they go?

twamd80driver

Corvette
1976 L-82 4-Speed
I have a 1976 L-82 4 speed, and while examining the Air cleaner/Carb I found two disconnected vacume hoses.

1) Comes off the back of the carb (firewall side) centered at the base. The hose is approx 8-10 inches long.

2) Comes off the air cleaner base, Passanger side and runs forward, It too is approx 8-10 inches long.

Any help IDing these and where they go would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks!

Chris

I believe there should be a vacuum sensor with two nipples on it attached to the bottom of the air cleaner on the passenger side; one hose goes from the sensor to the rear of the carb base, and the other goes forward to the vacuum motor on the passenger side air cleaner snorkel.

:beer

thanks john!

what happens if those lines are not connected? (pros vs cons)

If they're not connected, you'll have a massive vacuum leak through the base of the carb. Either hook it up as designed or cap off the port at the rear of the carb base.

That sensor either blocks or passes vacuum to the vacuum motor on the air cleaner snorkel based on the air temperature in the air cleaner; if it's cold, it causes the valve operated by the vacuum motor to admit only hot air through the tube to the muff on the exhaust manifold for improved cold driveability and emissions. If the air is hot (or if you're at WOT, thus producing no vacuum), it causes the vacuum motor to move the valve the other way and admit only engine compartment air to the air cleaner.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom