Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Four questions from a newbie...

D

DCP

Hey guys,

Check out my post in the "intro" thread to find out more about me.

Okay, here goes:

1.) What's the typical average, major-trouble-free, lifespan of a LT-4 that is driven moderately hard but not raced?

2.) What's the typical average lifespan of a 6speed tranny that is driven moderately hard but not raced?

3.) What's the typical average lifespan of a clutch in a 6speed LT4 car that is driven moderately hard but not raced?

4.) Where can I buy a CAGS eliminator online? How much do they run?

Any info will be appreciated.

DCP

DCP, Welcome. I am new here myself. I just got mine a couple weeks ago and would be interested in the answers to those ? also. My cags was already eliminated but I have seen the part in most of the major catalogs(Ecklers,Mid America,Corvette Central) for around $20-25,I think. It is not Expensive. Good Luck, Guy

I can give you one suggestion for the #4 question: Eckler's has it available online for $10.99. ;)

_ken :w

Since I've been looking into the LT4...

I asked a mechanic some of those same questions.

1. 150,000 miles, easy. That's his exact quote

2. As for the tranny, that's usually comparable to the engine life.

3. Clutch is a normal wear item so replacement of that is expected.

If you maintain your LT4, you should have no problems with it.... the problems will arise with the outside components... waterpump etc... If you do have a problem with an outside component, make sure you take care of it quickly... the most frequent problems with these engines usually involves a failed component that the owner ignored for too long.... The tranny's are great, I agree that is should last as long as the engine... The clutch is a different story... it depends on how you drive your car... I had 104,000 miles on my 93 when I sold it, original clutch.... I drive my car moderate to hard, occasional drag racing, but I know how to take care of it while I drive. I went easy on it, and my 60 foot times at the track are slow to show it..... If you really drive the car for its worth, you need to feather the clutch, which makes it wear out quickly... Basically, you can drive the car hard and wear it out quick, or it could last a long time.... It all comes down to your driving style, and how much extra money you have to spend on the car:)

??

Ken said:
I can give you one suggestion for the #4 question: Eckler's has it available online for $10.99. ;)

Ken, you may want to check this. I found the Ecklers part number for a 96 to be: Part# 32542 and it was for 17.95. I didn't realize there is a difference.

RE: CAGS eliminator. You can just unplug it, tape off the connectors; depends on where you live, whether you're going to drive in salt.
Regarding powertrain life: You'll have 'way more fun with piddling things like alternators (I keep a spare on the shelf in my garage) and A/C clutches than with the major things like engine and transmission.
Chevy got the "major" things right, apparently turned over the design of the "minor" stuff to their engineering trainees.

P.S. If you want to know about clutches, call the GM Proving Ground, Milford, Michigan, ask for Gary Rush; he knows clutches.

Tell him you hear his knickname is "Tuna", see what he says! ;)
Uh, after he answers your question, that is...

Re: ??

all4c4lt4 said:

Ken, you may want to check this. I found the Ecklers part number for a 96 to be: Part# 32542 and it was for 17.95. I didn't realize there is a difference.

Did you click the link all? When that window opens, it states:
Part# 22712

Six Speed Cags Plug Seal Set 89-95

$10.99 PR.
:confused

Anyone else???

Thanks for the info guys. I purchased the cogs eliminator from Ecklers.

Thanks again,
DCP

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom